z0Z

Can you help identify this machine

Hi,

Can someone help me indentify this machine please? Would this be useful as a backup machine. I am just going to be doing wallets, chaps, and belts maybe. This is a vibrating shuttle, just not usre of the model. Thanks

DSCF0030.JPG

DSCF0031.JPG

post-10546-1243736396_thumb.jpg

post-10546-1243736473_thumb.jpg

Looks just like my singer 31-15 or maybe a 31-20 but I am not sure because mine dosent have a motor mounted to it. Mine has a big clutch motor mounted under the table. I dont use it but it has it.

Edited by Tkleather1

Looks like an old Singer model 27, and it's not heavy enough for much more than garment weight leather - not enough take-upm and the bobbins don't hold much thread and are not really very good for heavy going. I think you can find an older industrial model pretty cheaply these days - so many American manufacturers are closing shop, and the machines are being sold off or just scrapped.

I've been a bona fide "old sewing machine nut" for years now - feel free to ask if you see any others and need to know!

Kate

I conure, it looks exactly the same as my 27, but this would be a new 127 - 128. It has a vibrating shuttle as opposed to a rotary bobbin, so expect to have to wind bobbins on a very regular basis. They are pretty user friendly but you might look at going with a rotary bobbin machine as they are easier to find parts for and far less noizy.

Again, I have restored one of these machines before and if you would like more info, you can get manuals and info from Singerco website.

Edited by Beener

Hello, the Singer 27 Class came in 2 versions, one being the fiddle bed and one the regular bed. Both versions had the famous Singer Gold Scroll Decals. This machine is the Singer 127 Class. The bobbin is a long bobbin and is a lightweight machine. Thanks, Steve

Hi OZ,

With the bobbin winder in the low position, it is a Singer 27, the 127 had the winder higher up. Not a good backup machine for anything but another Singer 27. Yours has been stored in a barn for about 30 years. With that much rust on top, you can guess the bottom and inside might be a little rough. These things came original with beautiful gold decals that Singer was famous for. For restorations, you can still get the decals.

Art

Hi,

Can someone help me indentify this machine please? Would this be useful as a backup machine. I am just going to be doing wallets, chaps, and belts maybe. This is a vibrating shuttle, just not usre of the model. Thanks