Sign in to follow this  
Warren

Money Cartridge Belt

Well I have been working on this for about 2 months now. I was beginning to think I was never going to get it finished. It is by far the most difficult and time consuming project I have finished to date. I literally have about a weeks worth of 8 hour days in this, if all the time spent on it was added up. I now understand why all the big guys charge so much for cartridge belts. Sewing cartridge loops by hand is the most aggravating thing in the world. In order for me to be able to hold the loops in place where they needed to be sewn I couldn't put the belt in my stitching horse. I spent one whole day doing nothing but sewing on loops. The next day my hands hurt so bad I couldn't work on the belt. I'm glad its finished. The bad news is this one was a practice piece I'll keep. Now I have to do the other one thatscut out and laying on my bench waiting to be sewn together. Worse it's for my brother and it gets teeny tiny .22 cartridge loops. I hope it goes faster sewing them on than these did, LOL. Oh well if it was easy everyone would do it huh?Hope you guys like it.

Warren

belt1a.jpg

belt2a.jpg

billetandloops1a.jpg

billetandloops2a.jpg

buckleandloops1a.jpg

buckleandloops2a.jpg

post-5168-1202852094_thumb.jpg

post-5168-1202852110_thumb.jpg

post-5168-1202852120_thumb.jpg

post-5168-1202852131_thumb.jpg

post-5168-1202852140_thumb.jpg

post-5168-1202852149_thumb.jpg

very nice and well worth the time. With what did you line it (wt., material, etc?) and what weight was the belt and lop material?

pete

warren..............You did well prilgrim...... you'll go far.... :thumbsup:

but tho'se .22 loops are a bugger.

Pete, the belt is one peice of 5/6 weight folded over and sewnshut on the billet end and top. The buckle end is left open to form a pouch to put money in. there is a slot behind the buckle that the billet goes though to keep anyting from falling out. I've attached some picture that will explain it better. This was probably the most popular form of cartridge belt used in the old west. The loops are the same weight as the belt whick is one reason it was so hard to do them. This thing should outlast me and my kids, I hope!

Luke, thanks. Coming from you thats high praise in my book!

Warren

slot1.jpg

slot2.jpg

slot3.jpg

post-5168-1202856141_thumb.jpg

post-5168-1202856152_thumb.jpg

post-5168-1202856161_thumb.jpg

I think you did a fine job. I dread cartridge loops myself.

I think it was an old issue of the LCSJ that Dusty Johnson was showing how to build gunbelts. In one picture he was working on the cartridge loops. He had a wire jig made up to position each one and hold it to start the stitches. It looked like it would speed things up a lot. The way he does things enabled him to establish patterns to mark each hole if needed. I keep telling myself to get better organized and do this as I make each item. On half the stuff I do I would spend more time at this than if I jump in and make the project.

At least you didn't punch a bunch of slots and weave the strap in and out to make the loops.

John, I really appreciate the compliments. I've seen pictures of the woven loops. There are some in "Packing Iron" which I consider to be the bible of authentic western gun leather and where I came up with the inspiration for this belt. I thought about doing it that way here, but after trying it using some scraps I just didn't like the way it looked. Also since I was doing 2 of these at the same time I wanted to do them both the same. The 2nd one is for my brother and is for his .22 Ruger Single Six. I just didn't see how the woven loops would work for .22 cartridges. I know a big cartridge belt like this for a .22 Isn't authentic, but he liked the idea so there you are. I have already made him a cheyenne style mexican loop holster for it, so this will make him a matched rig. It's ready to have all the sewing done on it. I just need to find the time and the motivation, LOL. When I get it done I'll post it for y'all to see.

Warren

Edited by Warren

John, I forgot to ask about that jig you were talking about. I would be VERY interested in seeing something like that if at all possible. I realize the copyright laws preclude you from simply posting the article, but a diagram or desciption would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Warren

warren have you figured out how many silver$$$ that belt will carry.

:cowboy::rofl:

No Luke I haven't, but I'm pretty sure it's more than I want to put in it! I put cartridges in all the loops and hung a holster from it with my Blackhawk in it and that sucker is HEAVY! I wouldn't want to load it with coins to boot. Call me a wimp but I think those guys way back when were tougher than I am. It's no wonder they rode horses, who could walk carrying all that around and wearing high heeled boots no less, LOL! If you would care to send me 40 or 50 silver $$$ I would be glad to run a test and give you a count on that though!

Warren

Just do what I do when somebody wants .22 cartridge loops............just sew them up a case to hang on the belt that they can dump a box of shells in!!

I've refused to do .22 cartidge loops. Way too tedious for me.

Your belt looks really good.

Tim

Warren,

I will write a note to myself to find that article. The problem I had with it is that he didn't explain how to use the thing. It's just the picture.

I find that lot's of instructional articles are that way. I have to go over mine time and again because I know what's going on and it's easy to assume that everyone else does.

The other version might be that the article is more for "here I am, ain't I great" than a real how to build it. I am not saying that anyone of ever been guilty of that but sometimes I wonder.

Dusty has a book and DVD on holsters but I havn't looked at either to see if it's in there.

I don't think you can go wrong by refering to Packing Iron for references. That's an outstanding book.

Anyway, I will find it and figure out some way to get the information to you.

Edited by thewildirishrose

I hate sewing on loops myself. You can lace money belt bullet loops, but I put an addtional 4-5 oz backer on the section that the loops lace through. A lot of the originals are calfskin and look pretty thin and soft in the pictures. That sewing jig for bullet loops sounds pretty neat, now you have me thinking............

I would try to talk them into doing up a cartridge case for the .22's, it would be historically accurate too as they sometimes used old percussion cap cases for cartridge cases. You could also do up a pistol cartridge case with a block to hold the .22 rounds.

John, if you can't find it or post it it's no big deal. I was more curious that anything and its made me wonder if I can make one myself. I'll post it if I figure it out.

Tim and Fishguy, I know it would be easier and more historically accurate to make a dump pouch than put on .22 loops but several things are preventing me from going that route. First is the fact that I already have the belt put together except for the sewing. Second my brother really wants the loops and I don't want to disappoint him. Lastly is the fact that I'm just too stubborn or stupid to say that it's too hard for me to do. So I guess I'll just have to suffer through and get it finished. My hope is it won't be as bad as I think it will be. If it is then I can say been there done that and never do it again.

Anyway thanks for all the input guys and listening to me whine, I really appreciate it.

Warren

Warren, Wow! I can't believe you got that leather to fold like that! I am sure that belt is SUPER STRONG! When did they start going to belts that weren't "straight" when open?

Nice work! Thanks for posting!

Hey Scouter, thanks for the compliments! What do you mean by "belts that weren't straight when open"?

Warren

Warren,

I found the article in the Jan-Feb 95 issue of LCSJ. A holster for the buckarooin all of us. What I remember being so cool is just a bit of wire. It is holding the leather strap to the belt wnd looks set up to position the piece at the correct distance.

Nothing special. I am sure there are tricks to learn about it. I think the biggest thing is patterns and templates to mark all the holes in the bullet loop strap and the belt. This would take time to work out but if doing lots of gunbelts the it would save hours down the road.

.22 loops are not as bad as you might think. You don't have to take to many stitches for each one. Let us know if you discover any secrets.

Thanks John, I appreciate the info. I don't know how many cartridge belts I'll be doing, but your right about setting up templates if I'm doing very many. I'll let you know if I figure out anything earth shattering,LOL.

Warren