OffLead

getting started

I normally spend a good long time lurking on a site before ever stepping up and saying anything, but this time around my need for some specific hardware is making me post right away. :-) After years of trying to find and buy the perfect dog leads, I've decided to hell with it, and I'm going to make my own. I slapped a few together already, and now that I at least have something that WORKS, I can go about figuring out how to make something that also looks fabulous.

I found 1/2" and 3/4" bronze bolt snaps at a local indy hardware store, much to my delight and surprise. They do have bronze O rings, but only down to 1". I would very much like to find some 3/4" bronze O rings, as well as some smaller sizes on both bolt-snaps and O rings. (I can't go much smaller for my own needs, since my "pup" is 200 lbs, but I have a friend with much smaller dogs that I'd like to make something for.)

And since I'm brand new to this, I would love some tips on the best places to be looking for the various tools I need, and for good leather. What I've gotten so far comes from Tandy, and seems perfectly addequate for getting started, but I assume there are places to look for higher quality on some items. If I am going to start buying tools, I want to make sure I'm not spending a lot of money on things I'll end up trading up on after not too much time.

I make custom leather dog collars and leashes. I buy the majority of my hardware from Weaver Leather.

But you need a tax id to set up a wholesale account.

diddo on Weaver but if you do not have a tax id Tandy and Hidecrafters handle what you are looking for.

Randy

Sorry, I should have said...Tandy carries nothing in bronze at all, and only larger sizes of brass bolt-snaps. They actually didn't have any of the hardware I needed.

Hmm, seems to me you really are talking bronze rather than brass.

In which case, I don't know *anyone* who carries bronze, just brass.

Michael!! Howdy! I did not expect to run into you, or anyone else I know, here! See, this is what happens when you tell me that you're no longer taking orders. I go off and start trying to figure out how to do things myself! ;-) I hope you and yours are doing well. Been extremely busy here at Casa de OffLead this year, but the pup is finally looking like he's approaching adulthood...he's finally filling out.

Yes, I really do mean bronze. :-)

The very best two leads I have ever owned both have bronze hardware. They are, in fact, Italian bronze. Very nice hardware. Even the small bolt snap on my 15 year old 3-foot braided lead has held up not only to time, but to being yanked around by even the 200 lb dog. (I can't think of the size right off hand, but it's smaller than a 1/2-inch, larger than a 1/4-inch...I can't go check, because as you know going TO the leashes gets all the dogs up and ready to head out. Ty has killed quite a few bolt snaps in his short life so far, all larger than this one.)

While cold temps are not really an issue for me now, I believe bronze is stronger at colder temps than brass. And it ages beautifully.

I have found a couple of sources for bronze bolt snaps, down to 1/2 inch. I do need some a bit smaller than this, but have had no luck at all. And I can't seem to find bronze O-rings anywhere but my hardware store. (Not the big box stores, of course, but a local place.) Unfortunately they don't have the bronze O-rings smaller than 1-inch, which really is larger than we need. But the only places are like gun-dog supply companies, and the bolt snaps are a few dollars a piece. Obviously I'd like to find a more economic source.

Walsall Hardware in Scottsdale, AZ carries hardware in Italian Bronze. They have bolt snaps, rings, and buckles in Itl Br. Can't speak for anything in bronze but their buckles, which have been good for several years. Website is www.walsallhardware.com. I am not sure if they required my resale number or have tiered pricing. The last few orders I have got from them have been very good and good service. They do have a $100 minimum order, or a fee for orders falling below that. You pretty much have to call for prices. The way hardware prices change, they can't keep anything published current. As I recall it is hard to determine prices on the website. Quantity pricing and such.

try, keystone mfg, at www.kmsinc.com, they may have what you are looking for, but min. order is 100 quanity.

Steve