Those of us who know Bob Park know the top-of-the-game leatherwork he does. And those of us who don’t should make it their business to know him.

Bob has put out an 86 page, in-color book called CREATING WESTERN FLORAL DESIGNS. The pages are high-quality, glossy pages. Made to last. This is definitely a book to get. Stamp your name in it, `cause if you do share it, you want it coming back to you.

Along with his distinctive style and patterns, Bob’s book contains not only step-by-step instructions, the book is VERY well illustrated. Along with some personal pages, he has 11 chapters ranging from “The Cut and Paste Approach” and “Getting Started” right through “Defining Boundaries”, “Designing With Circles”, “Pattern Flow” and more right down to “Secrets to Success”, “The Design Sequence”, and “Points To Remember”.

By my count, Bob’s got 8 copyable patterns in there, including 3 that he calls “sample patterns” of 10, 6, and 5 flowers. The book has a “Design Elements” chapter of flowers, leaves, acanthus leaves (stumps), scrolls & buds. The “Photo Gallery” has beautiful, professionally taken color photos of saddles, chap yokes, boot tops, fenders and more by Steve Mecum of Wyoming, Cary Schwarz of Idaho, Andy Stevens of Nevada, Travis Stillson of Texas, Troy West of Texas, and of course his own section of photos of his own work: 7 photos of briefcases, a ship’s logbook, rope cans, tapadero lamp, ladies handbag,and a pad folio. Again, superior color photos: close-up detailed photos you can see clearly to study.

Bob was selling this book at Sheridan. It was $45 - - - about the price of a Barry King basket stamp, less than a Bob Beard beveler. And equally important as either tool.

I should say at this point I had a very small part in this book, helping to proofread the original manuscript for typos, grammar and clarity. I only saw a manuscript in process, not the finished product. But this is a real eye-popper, chock full of information, nuggets and tips. It’s a great reflection of Bob Park’s work itself: flat-out, top-of-the line quality.

Harvey

Los Angeles

How useful do you think it would be to someone who's not interested in western/floral work? Is there stuff in it that would be applicable to all styles?

How useful do you think it would be to someone who's not interested in western/floral work? Is there stuff in it that would be applicable to all styles?

Good question. Overall and honestly, no. The orientation is western floral design and that's what he specializes in. Associated aspects like finishing or construction or such aren't addressed. Bob DOES have a chapter called "Defining Boundaries" with sub-topics of establishing borders, lettering, and hardware and silver, but the vast majority of the book is indeed western floral design.

Bob DOES have a chapter called "Defining Boundaries" with sub-topics of establishing borders, lettering....

That's the kind of stuff I'd be interested in. But, being one chapter out of a book as a whole, I don't think it's something I would get right now.

I've been on the hunt for a lot of good composition/design books, so thought I'd ask just in case :)

Harvey,

Where can you get the book? Will Bob just be marketing it privately?

Thanks,

CW

CW,

As far as I can tell Bob is just selling it himself right now, but he's a member here and you could PM him about it.

I got the book from him in Sheridan and I'm still going through it, but I think it's excellent. He explains things very well and I am really understanding his approach to design, and I finally feel like I'm ready to design patterns that will be worth looking at. I recommend it highly.

Bob

CW,

As far as I can tell Bob is just selling it himself right now, but he's a member here and you could PM him about it.

I got the book from him in Sheridan and I'm still going through it, but I think it's excellent. He explains things very well and I am really understanding his approach to design, and I finally feel like I'm ready to design patterns that will be worth looking at. I recommend it highly.

Bob

Thanks Bob.