Hi guys,

I saw there is a guy using tallow wax he makes for polishing the grain side of English bridle leather.

After polishing, the English bridle leather looks shiny.

I don't know if this could be used on 'other' leather.

Does any one have formula for making tallow wax?

Chris

Tallow wax is known by other names

The leather manufacturing ( especially saddlery leather ) uses what is called curriers grease - the formula for making it varies depending on who makes it but the basic process is hundreds of years old - an old book of mine ( circa 1905 ) outlines how to make it.

2/3 rendered beef fat ( tallow )

1/3 neatsfoot oil

add some beeswax and cod liver oil

melt the whole lot in a pan - don't let it boil - and stir it until mixed completly , then lt it cool . You should end up with a greasy substance - this is about the best you can get for bridle leather .

Hi guys,

I saw there is a guy using tallow wax he makes for polishing the grain side of English bridle leather.

After polishing, the English bridle leather looks shiny.

I don't know if this could be used on 'other' leather.

Does any one have formula for making tallow wax?

Chris

Thanks, Nutty Saddler.

Oh,my gooodness! I got the formula!!!

By the way, can this curriers grease work well on 'non' English bridle leather?

Chris

As far as I know curriers grease can be used on other leather products , but I can't say for sure .

Connelly Leather ( now ceased trading ) uses a Lanoline beeswax formula - this comes from sheep rather than cows and their hide food is used on a softer range of leather goods ( Rolls Royce cars used Connelly leather )

For me personaly I use curriers grease , sedgwicks produce a really good product pre-made - this eliminates the smelly/messy procedure if you do it yourself and I'm happy to use it on all my leather from my saddles to my shoes.

You can use curriers grease on non-English bridle bends , however if the tannery process is bad the leather will be bad - it will not matter if the correct grease is used or not .

If you good bridle bends then this grease will work for them as well as any other product - try to steer clear of 100% neatsfoot as this is not really good for bridlework.

Edited by Nutty Saddler

Thanks, Nutty Saddler.

I will consider to buy Sedgwick leathercare and will make one myself following the formula.

Chris

As far as I know curriers grease can be used on other leather products , but I can't say for sure .

Connelly Leather ( now ceased trading ) uses a Lanoline beeswax formula - this comes from sheep rather than cows and their hide food is used on a softer range of leather goods ( Rolls Royce cars used Connelly leather )

For me personaly I use curriers grease , sedgwicks produce a really good product pre-made - this eliminates the smelly/messy procedure if you do it yourself and I'm happy to use it on all my leather from my saddles to my shoes.

You can use curriers grease on non-English bridle bends , however if the tannery process is bad the leather will be bad - it will not matter if the correct grease is used or not .

If you good bridle bends then this grease will work for them as well as any other product - try to steer clear of 100% neatsfoot as this is not really good for bridlework.