LeatherWerks

Help With A Tippmann Boss

I've watched some videos online and my Tippmann Boss must not be adjusted properly or something. When sewing, the top thread has a tendency to not stay tight like you might expect a regular sewing machine to. I've attached a couple of pictures showing what the machine is doing, and the second picture shows what I expect the machine should be doing. The stitch itself is fine, just the fact that the thread doesn't stay taught is the issue. Any thoughts?

Steve

post-25085-084759200 1331485529_thumb.jp

post-25085-008194300 1331485546_thumb.jp

Is this a cast iron Boss ?

In the aluminum Boss there is a spring ( # AR-49) that keeps the tension upwards on the take up lever, to keep this problem from happening. The cast iron Boss does not have this spring. I had the same problem with my cast iron Boss, so I odered a spring from Tippmann, drilled and installed a pin on the take up arm and installed the spring. No more loops and slack on the top thread.

Have a look at Tippmanns website and compare the parts between a Alum. Boss and a cast iron Boss and you will understand

/ Knut

No, it's aluminum. Thanks for the information, I'll order a new spring and see if that helps.

Steve

In the aluminum Boss there is a spring ( # AR-49) that keeps the tension upwards on the take up lever, to keep this problem from happening. The cast iron Boss does not have this spring. I had the same problem with my cast iron Boss, so I odered a spring from Tippmann, drilled and installed a pin on the take up arm and installed the spring. No more loops and slack on the top thread.

Have a look at Tippmanns website and compare the parts between a Alum. Boss and a cast iron Boss and you will understand

/ Knut

Knut, I took the plastic cover off and didn't see the spring that is shown on Tippmanns web site. How do you tell if its a cast or aluminum version?

Steve

/ Knut

I would use a magnet to find out if it is made of iron or aluminium

/ Knut

I would use a magnet to find out if it is made of iron or aluminium

/ Knut

Okay, it's made of aluminum but there is no spring. Just ordered one from Tippmann. Now, I guess one end of the spring fits below the pin and the other side rests against the case. I guess it will make better sense when I see the spring.

Steve

Okay, it's made of aluminum but there is no spring. Just ordered one from Tippmann. Now, I guess one end of the spring fits below the pin and the other side rests against the case. I guess it will make better sense when I see the spring.

Steve

I believe you have one of the transitional machines as I do. Some of the early ones with aluminum casting had all steel internals and lacked the tension spring on the thread take up arm. A quick fix till you get the spring installed is to just insert a piece of those craft pipe cleaners in the last thread guide ie" the tube and it will add just enough tension to keep the thread from looping like that.