Sign in to follow this  
MartyD

Tools and books for a newbie?

Hi all,

I am a newbie to leatherworking and to this forum. I want to learn how to make quality watch straps. I have searched the threads here and have found a couple of interesting "how to" threads on watch forums (see links attached), but I still don't know exactly what I need to get started. I have no problem with buying good tools. I just don't want to buy tools that I will not need and I do not want to overpay for them. Can anyone suggest specific tools to buy and where to buy them?

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t...asc&start=0

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tre...ev=&reveal=

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marty

Hey Marty!

Thanks so much for the post man I'm trying to learn about watchbands and cuffs as well, plus a few other things, these were very helpful!!!

Eric

I used to do about a thousand a month. When I started doing them I used a die to cut the part (you could use a round knife and do it by hand) then I would skive the area that attached to the watch with a cheap bench skiver (I kept the blade really sharp!) Hand glued then stitched them on Consew 206 RB did all the edge finishing by hand. As the contract increased I clicked out blocks of leather and pattern skived them on a band knife splitter glued the whole block then die cut the part. I used a power burnishing wheel. The tough part was holding the little buggers when we rubbed the edges( most band companies don't rub the edges they use products that are designed fill the edge and make it look glossy) so we made a fixture that they fit into. We applied the edge dressing by hand then sewed the buckles on by hand. So what do you need? It depends on how many and what type of leather you will be using.

David Genadek

I've made a few. still learning. my stiching sucks. I mainly stitch to reinforce key points and glue the rest with barge cement.

I think a sharp knife, a good ruler and a good skiver are the most important tools.

check out shane delaurian if you want to see a master strap maker.

I want to really concentrate on my strap making soon. I'm coaching soccer right now and the season ends next week. I 'll have more time then.

edit: I haven't found a good source for a pricking iron in the states yet. One UK company I contacted never replied to my question if they ship overseas.

Edited by setherd

I found with watchbands I had to adjust my way of thinking and seeing, had to scale down everything. Small is a pain to handle but if a band is out of proportion it does'nt work very well especially the holes for the buckle tongue and where the watch attaches with spring bars. An example would be the tandy kits, they look absolutly huge to me.