SouthernCross

How To Finish The Edge On A Single Layer Of Leather?

How can I finish or burnish the edge ot a single layer of 5-6 oz. leather, such as on an archery armguard? I can't really burnish it with a piece of cloth with wax, etc. because the edge is to "floppy" and will fold over. Any guidance on how I should proceed?

Fiebing edge coat will help you to put a finish on the edge.

How can I finish or burnish the edge ot a single layer of 5-6 oz. leather, such as on an archery armguard? I can't really burnish it with a piece of cloth with wax, etc. because the edge is to "floppy" and will fold over. Any guidance on how I should proceed?

I burnish 5/6 oz leather all the time. You have to use something like two thin pieces of wood clamped on either side or something similar to stabilize the edge. If you're using a mechincal burnisher it is a simple matter of holding the leather taught between your hands while you move it through the burnishing wheel.

Hope this helps....

Bobby

I burnish 5/6 oz leather all the time. You have to use something like two thin pieces of wood clamped on either side or something similar to stabilize the edge. If you're using a mechincal burnisher it is a simple matter of holding the leather taught between your hands while you move it through the burnishing wheel.

Hope this helps....

Bobby

Thanks, Bobby - that makes perfect sense. If I were to clamp between two pieces of wood, for example, how much of the edge to I need to leave exposed? 1/8" or so?

I attach one of these:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/search/searchresults/8122-00.aspx?feature=Product_1&kw=slicker

to a drill. I put my drill in a vice clamp. I turn the drill on, hold the leather tight, and run it through. I like Echo Flo Gum Tragacanth. I rub a bunch into the edge, run it through the wheel, edge coat it, run it through the wheel, wax it, run it through the wheel, and then sheen it. Makes lovely edges!

I use a bone folder and haven't had a problem with floppiness... you can also use a dremel with a buffing wheel - but PLEASE do some practice first, as it can be a bit tricky lol. Don't want to mess up an edge XD