KnotHead

My Work Belt.

Thought I might post something since I have not in a while. This is my latest project for myself this time. LOL... A work in progress...

100_1626_1.jpg

100_1619.jpg

100_1770.jpg

100_1781.jpg

B...

It's going to be nice when you get it done for sure.

Thanks for the very kind comment.

B...

That is beautiful, what are your plans for finish on this project. Did you make the lace yourself?

Kevin

Thanks for the very kind comment. All the lace I cut, bevel and split myself from the hide. It's all kangaroo lace. Plans for finishing, I have none right now. I might put a couple of concho's on there. I don't know yet. It's just a work belt with a bit of an attitude. LOL... I thought I might use it as a show piece by wearing it around some of my customers at work. Never know, might sell a few of them. LOL...

B...

Thanks for the kind comment bones. My friend Peejay made that fid for me a short time ago. It is Damascus steel and Olive wood handle.

Brian...

Well side 1 is done. Now for side 2. What do ya'll think of side 1 so far?

post-1307-095112000 1345428979_thumb.jpg

post-1307-011984900 1345429101_thumb.jpg

post-1307-083693300 1345429050_thumb.jpg

post-1307-057145200 1345429053_thumb.jpg

post-1307-054959700 1345429056_thumb.jpg

post-1307-062150300 1345429058_thumb.jpg

post-1307-079417800 1345429060_thumb.jpg

Brian...

Awesome work Brian!

Thank you for the kind comment Rick. How's the life where the rocket ships and warm sunny beaches are?

B...

I know how you are about your work, lol, you probably are concentrating on some little thing that is "bothering" you on this braid, and that's great, as you've done this on a lot of your work, pointing it out to us wanting to learn; but this one looks so straight and consistant I'm really impressed. I'm guessing PJ's fid has a minature transit on it. LOL

Thanks Rick. I do appreciate the kind comments.

Brian...

Well my work belt is all done. At least the braiding part of it is. I don't know where I will take it next. But I have a few ideas running loose in my brain. LOL...

100_1815.jpg

100_1817.jpg

100_1822.jpg

100_1821.jpg

100_1820.jpg

Hope ya'll like it so far.

B...

Very nice may i ask how long it took to lace it. I'm just learning to do the round braid myself, it's been a learning curve for sure. Your work is beautiful.

Well, if I was retired from this thing called a full time job, it would have only taken me about 2 or 3 maybe 4 days to do. But since I'm not it took me about a week or so to do. I have been working on it about 2 to 4 hours per night after work. You'll find as you're learning this craft the learning will require patience and a whole bunch of care, mixed with some more patience and a dab of concentration in its purest form. Thank you for the very kind comment also. I am looking forward to seeing some of your work in the future.

B...

Thanks for the kind comment megabit. I am going to do something else to this belt. But I have to wait on some more hide to get here. LOL...

B...

OK Brian, I'll be the downer since everyone else is concentrating on the braiding, and I already know how perfect you are at that. Had it been me I would have burnished all the edges before braiding so it would have been consistent when you got to the part that's not braided. I'm saying this for two reasons....one you are wanting to do more leather in your leather work, and also I have shaky hands and wouldn't be able to burnish and edge it now without getting it on the braid. That said, it truly is a beautiful piece of work. Cheryl

Cheryl. You're awesome. I am in agreement with what you said about burnishing the edges. Unfortunately, I don't have a way to do that just yet. I have a friend of mine working on a few burnishers for my dremel and my drill. Thank you for your very kind comment and critique. On the next belt I do, which will be my fancy church belt, I will do a burnishing for sure if I need to.

B...

Brian, it just takes canvas and saddle soap? :-) You can read all about it in Bobby Park's pinned article in 'how do I do that.' I'll admit burnishers are easier, or so I've been told. I still use canvas and saddle soap, LOL. But don't get me wrong, your belt is truly beautiful.

Wow, I normally wouldn't go for that style of belt but your job on this might have changed my mind. Great work, Brian.

Pete

Thank you very much for the very kind comment Pete.

B...

That's one good looking belt! I have yet to try lacing, and it appears I'll need some more tools. Is that a Damascus fid I see?

Beautiful as always! And what fun those empty spaces are - conchos? More braiding? I bet you are having a good time with it!

When you are finally done it will be a true work of art.

Yes. That is a damascus fid. My tool maker friend sent it to me last year. I love the feel of it and to work with it. Thanks for the very kind comment also.

B...

That's one good looking belt! I have yet to try lacing, and it appears I'll need some more tools. Is that a Damascus fid I see?

I'm still trying to gather some tools and some more practice leather for doing some sheridan work and combine that with some more braiding. That's the idea anyway. LOL... Thanks for the kind comment also.

B...

Beautiful as always! And what fun those empty spaces are - conchos? More braiding? I bet you are having a good time with it!

When you are finally done it will be a true work of art.