Andalusiangirl

Dye Affect

Hi

Newbie here... How would I do this? (The colour dye affect not the wallet)

Thank you

gallery_37029_1648_31258.jpg

Apologies if this should be in the newbie section & I'm asking an obvious question? If so I can move it

I think it involves floating a couple of drops of oil based pigment in a bin of water and dipping it. There are plenty of takes on the process, but the idea is usually very similar. You want the colors to marble on the surface of your item.

I found a video that outlines the process I am talking about pretty well.

I wouldn't start with the leather submerged in water, though. You could float your colors and then dip your item and pull it out at different angles to change the pattern of the marbling.

Mind you, I have not actually tried this out on any leather personally, but the theory is that it should work. I would recommend experimentation with scraps first.

This would be a good spot for it :)

I'm not sure how that one was done, but I know how I would try it.

It would take some practice to get the swirl marks, but I like to brush on a darker color first and then go over the whole thing with my lighter colors. That tends to blend and eliminate any hard lines from the darker colors. A lot of times I have different cool results based on whether I use a dry brush technique, or an overly wet brush - so experiment and see what you can do.