CustomDoug

Union Special Sewing Machines Sn# Look Up ?

Hey guys does anyone know of a website to look up serial numbers for Union Special sewing machines? Or... know of where I can explain to a seller where to look, on the machine, to find the model number ? Also, are there good walking foot ones to look out for... or are they generally avoided for some reason, like parts being difficult to get, etc ? Thanks..

Edited by CustomDoug

Union Special mainly made garment machines where Singer had alot of heavier machines dedicated for upholstary & leather work/I don't know of one they made f/leather or even a walking foot type heavy enough tto do the job.I don't know of a ser# lookup site either,parts can be a problem also many have been discontinued.

I once had a Union Special blind stitch machine, as do a lot of tailor shops. It used a curved needle to make a hidden stitch inside hems and cuffs, on cloth garments. Union Special are mostly garment factory and tailoring machines. I doubt you will find any that are suitable for sewing leather or vinyl, but I could be wrong. I once thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken!

:evillaugh:

rolleyes.gif haha, I think I'll pass on the union special for now, thanks ya'll.

Union Special manufactured a great variety of machines designed to perform specific steps in the stitching of shoe uppers.

Union Special manufactured a great variety of machines designed to perform specific steps in the stitching of shoe uppers.

I think I might have a couple but they make a chainstitch.

I think I might have a couple but they make a chainstitch.

Yes, they make a chainstitch, but it is called a "double locked chainstitch" as it uses a needle thread and a looper thread intertwined in such a way as to not unravel as easily as a single thread chainstitch. Type 401 stitch I believe.