JoshDuvall

Making Pattern For Solo Seat "top"

I'm building my first sprung solo seat and had a question about making a pattern for the "top" of the seat and lining up the holes for lacing. I know the pattern for the top will be slightly different than the pattern that covers the bottom of the seat pan but how do I make sure I have the same amount of holes w/ the same spacing? How do you make your pattern for your top cover that covers the foam?

Thank in advance,

Josh

Here's how I do it...I make the bottom first with appropriate holes... glue it to the bottom of the pan...then I cut a top just a little bit larger....if you need to form it, do it....while it's wet I clip it all the way around with office clips...I let it dry... one clip at a time I take one off and mark each hole through the seat bottom holes so all are marked...I also draw around the bottom to make the exact pattern for the top then cut off excess....then I punch the holes. I know others have different and maybe better ways than me. If I have a photo I'll post it. Good luck

Edited by benlilly1

Here's how I do it...I make the bottom first with appropriate holes... glue it to the bottom of the pan...then I cut a top just a little bit larger....if you need to form it, do it....while it's wet I clip it all the way around with office clips...I let it dry... one clip at a time I take one off and mark each hole through the seat bottom holes so all are marked...I also draw around the bottom to make the exact pattern for the top then cut off excess....then I punch the holes. I know others have different and maybe better ways than me. If I have a photo I'll post it. Good luck

Good idea, the first alternative I've seen that makes sense.

Dave

I use zip ties, I make the top first and using a wing divider go around the perimeter 5mm marking the bottom side of the leather. Glue on my bottom and cut off the excess.

I punch my hole on teh top first, and then follow through my pre punched hole with the punch through the bottom side...or use a pencil like Benlilly from the bottom...you can do it many ways, it really depends on the seat pan and curves weather you do the bottom first or the top first.

I am about 50-50 on if I punch the top or bottom first...it really does not matter in the end.

post-28433-015016200 1339297757_thumb.jp

post-28433-090694100 1339297786_thumb.jp

That makes sense attaching the bottom and leaving the top bigger. That allows for fitting over the foam rubber padding. I'm gonna try that! Thanks for the idea.

hey Bobby, Im curious how making your holes worked out?

Im gathering info & materials to attempt seat for my bike.

getting the holes right seems to be a crucial piece.

hey Bobby, Im curious how making your holes worked out?

Im gathering info & materials to attempt seat for my bike.

getting the holes right seems to be a crucial piece.

I've got a couple of seat pans that I want to try it on, but I also make gear for Ural motorcycles and I'm too backed up to try a seat right now. That'll be a project when I get caught up on orders!