carr52

turks head knots

Well heres a couple more attempts at it. I'm trying out a tool I saw on a youtube video. It works pretty good. Even I can seem to do it. I've been covering all kinds a things. Still having problems trying to use the mandrels but I think I'll get it sooner or later.

Tom

IMG_0001.JPG

post-6291-125302276999_thumb.jpg

They look good to me, have you experiment with taking a knot to double length or width. Just one of those fun exercises that helps to learn knots. When I started I used a piece of Styrofoam as a mandrel, you can by it in rounds at the craft store and then used straight pins on each pass at the top and bottom. Once the knots started to make sense I began tying them on my finger which is a no no for most braiders but it is the way I do things.

Keep up the good work, soon everything in the house will have a knot, John

You're gettin' it !! They look good.

I learned on my fingers. Inside of the fingers is "1 & 2" and the backside is "3 & 4". My only problem is those damned pins. Seriously, don't get overwhelmed by the many varieties. You can only learn one at a time. Pick one you want to use and make it over and over. Then try something different. Once you're comfortable, expand your knots and experiment. Don't worry about memorizing them all. Just keep a book handy.

If you want to use your fingers, it might be easier to learn by using a hank of sash cord. All of the leather braiding books are great but Ashley's Book of Knots (Amazon) is "the bible."

Practice, Patience & Perserverance

They look good to me, have you experiment with taking a knot to double length or width. Just one of those fun exercises that helps to learn knots. When I started I used a piece of Styrofoam as a mandrel, you can by it in rounds at the craft store and then used straight pins on each pass at the top and bottom. Once the knots started to make sense I began tying them on my finger which is a no no for most braiders but it is the way I do things.

Keep up the good work, soon everything in the house will have a knot, John

I was eyeballing a slim jim and cheese snack that needed something.

Tom

You're gettin' it !! They look good.

I learned on my fingers. Inside of the fingers is "1 & 2" and the backside is "3 & 4". My only problem is those damned pins. Seriously, don't get overwhelmed by the many varieties. You can only learn one at a time. Pick one you want to use and make it over and over. Then try something different. Once you're comfortable, expand your knots and experiment. Don't worry about memorizing them all. Just keep a book handy.

If you want to use your fingers, it might be easier to learn by using a hank of sash cord. All of the leather braiding books are great but Ashley's Book of Knots (Amazon) is "the bible."

Practice, Patience & Perserverance

thank you. I plan on doing just that. Learning one knot and going from there. It's still kinda tuff.

Tom

The flat board you have in your photo there and the youtube video was most likely Don Burhuss from Knot Tool ... He has done 3 books so far that I know of.

1. Turks Head Cookbook #1
  2. Turks Head Cookbook #2
  3. Globe Knots Cookbook

I have all of his stuff here in the shop. Good reference to goto when you need it.

Brian...

Well heres a couple more attempts at it. I'm trying out a tool I saw on a youtube video. It works pretty good. Even I can seem to do it. I've been covering all kinds a things. Still having problems trying to use the mandrels but I think I'll get it sooner or later.

Tom

The flat board you have in your photo there and the youtube video was most likely Don Burhuss from Knot Tool ... He has done 3 books so far that I know of.

1. Turks Head Cookbook #1
  2. Turks Head Cookbook #2
  3. Globe Knots Cookbook

I have all of his stuff here in the shop. Good reference to goto when you need it.

Brian...

Thanks for the web link Brian.

I think I'm gonna get one of the Turks head cook books. Looks like a lot of fun stuff in there. Heres a few more I've tried, or should I say tied.

Tom

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

post-6291-125409177021_thumb.jpg

post-6291-12540917893_thumb.jpg

If you do get the book. Tell him that Brian from KHWW.NET sent you to him. He's a really neat guy. You should buy the whole kit. You get the book and some needles and some cord with it. He not only made the book but he also in his kits gets you started with the supplies.

Brian...

Thanks for the web link Brian.

I think I'm gonna get one of the Turks head cook books. Looks like a lot of fun stuff in there. Heres a few more I've tried, or should I say tied.

Tom

If you do get the book. Tell him that Brian from KHWW.NET sent you to him. He's a really neat guy. You should buy the whole kit. You get the book and some needles and some cord with it. He not only made the book but he also in his kits gets you started with the supplies.

Brian...

I sure will tell him you sent me. I do believe I'm gonna buy it. Thanks again.

Tom