funnygirl62221

Euphonium Corsett?

I may have found my own niche in leatherworking lol I made a case for a musician friends "bones". She plays them in an irish pub band and now she would like me to make a "Corsett" for her Euphonium that she plays in the airforce band. As she describes it, it would be a wrap for the lower portion of the instrument to protect it from scratches or damage. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

I included a picture of the bones case I did. It is still a bit wet but you get the idea. rolleyes.gif

Thanks for your thoughts!

006.JPG

post-13469-127405173632_thumb.jpg

Funnygirl your case looks good. Looks like you still need to sew it ? Never have heard of playing bones, learn something new everday.

Is the corset like one these in the picture ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:EuphoniumAndTuba_wb.jpg

Funnygirl your case looks good. Looks like you still need to sew it ? Never have heard of playing bones, learn something new everday.

Is the corset like one these in the picture ?

http://en.wikipedia....mAndTuba_wb.jpg

Holy CRAP! you guys never cease to amaze me! notworthy.gif am sending her the picture now to find out.

Ellen

Holy CRAP! you guys never cease to amaze me! notworthy.gif am sending her the picture now to find out.

Ellen

ok she saw it and after she stopped laughing...she said nope that's not it. hehe

Oh yes. Low brass is my old stomping ground (former euphoniumist in two university symphony bands, among numerous other groups).

I've seen accessories for euphoniums and tubas like this, but I've always kept a deerskin chamois handy when I'm handling my instrument, and just laid it across my lap when I play it. That also helps keep the valve oil and condensation off my clothing.

But what the "corset" is, is just a simple soft leather wrap that goes around a single segment of tubing at the bottom of the instrument that is about 8-10" in length and ranges about 1.75-2.0" in diameter (it gradually changes in diameter). That is the one spot on a euphonium or tuba (other than the bell) that usually takes the most abuse.

It needs to be made of very soft leather, and it needs to be easy to remove and replace, so the instrument can be bathed without getting the leather wet. My first idea for attaching it would be to use a soft lace with un-riveted holes. I would not want any hardware touching the finish at all. The lace could not be pulled too tightly, or the holes would tear, but to help reinforce the holes, you could double the leather over where the holes go.

Veg tan may be okay on a lacquer-finished brass instrument, but I don't recommend it on a silver finish - it's pretty delicate. A nice quality (i.e., soft and supple) piece of upholstery leather, or some heavy deerskin is what I would lean towards.

You may also consider a similar wrap for the narrower and shorter segment of tubing that your hand rests on, as a very acidic perspiration from the hand can wear out the finish over time.

Hope this gives you some ideas...

Kate

I may have found my own niche in leatherworking lol I made a case for a musician friends "bones". She plays them in an irish pub band and now she would like me to make a "Corsett" for her Euphonium that she plays in the airforce band. As she describes it, it would be a wrap for the lower portion of the instrument to protect it from scratches or damage. Has anyone heard of such a thing?

I included a picture of the bones case I did. It is still a bit wet but you get the idea. rolleyes.gif

Thanks for your thoughts!

I really think it would help to have the model undress for a precise fit.:whatdoyouthink:

charlie

Oh yes. Low brass is my old stomping ground (former euphoniumist in two university symphony bands, among numerous other groups).

I've seen accessories for euphoniums and tubas like this, but I've always kept a deerskin chamois handy when I'm handling my instrument, and just laid it across my lap when I play it. That also helps keep the valve oil and condensation off my clothing.

But what the "corset" is, is just a simple soft leather wrap that goes around a single segment of tubing at the bottom of the instrument that is about 8-10" in length and ranges about 1.75-2.0" in diameter (it gradually changes in diameter). That is the one spot on a euphonium or tuba (other than the bell) that usually takes the most abuse.

It needs to be made of very soft leather, and it needs to be easy to remove and replace, so the instrument can be bathed without getting the leather wet. My first idea for attaching it would be to use a soft lace with un-riveted holes. I would not want any hardware touching the finish at all. The lace could not be pulled too tightly, or the holes would tear, but to help reinforce the holes, you could double the leather over where the holes go.

Veg tan may be okay on a lacquer-finished brass instrument, but I don't recommend it on a silver finish - it's pretty delicate. A nice quality (i.e., soft and supple) piece of upholstery leather, or some heavy deerskin is what I would lean towards.

You may also consider a similar wrap for the narrower and shorter segment of tubing that your hand rests on, as a very acidic perspiration from the hand can wear out the finish over time.

Hope this gives you some ideas...

Kate

Thank you, Kate that is a huge help. I've never worked with deerskin, just veg tan. And she did say something about the hand rest too.

What universities did you play at? My friend went to Indiana.

Ellen

I really think it would help to have the model undress for a precise fit.:whatdoyouthink:

charlie

Good point, Charlie... we need some illustration. In all its undressed glory. <grin> Here are some annotated photos I just slapped together on the spur of the moment. This should give everyone an idea what we're talking about.

full-01.png

detail-01.png

detail-02.png

Dimensions vary with the brand of instrument, but this should give you a general idea.

Kate

post-7-127406978616_thumb.png

post-7-127406978794_thumb.png

post-7-127406978955_thumb.png

What universities did you play at? My friend went to Indiana.

Wichita State University, and later Kansas State University.

Kate

Well we have had a scare and a good laugh :-). I'm glad it's not the thing in the picture. That looks like it would be a pain to make.

You could use velcro to put on with. Sew the velcro to the leather then wrap and stick. But Kate's ideal might be the best. Good luck on your project.

You could use velcro to put on with. Sew the velcro to the leather then wrap and stick.

Velcro, that's a thought... as long as it makes a snug enough fit to stay put while the instrument is in use.

Kate

I vote for the lacing. THat's what I did on the handhold of my euph way back when... A grayish color upholstery leather goes well with the silver euphs... but i only did the handhold.

Thanks a bunch you guys. I really appreciate your suggestions.

Ellen