rgepting

2012 Wichita Falls Saddle Makers Round Up

The show is coming up in a few weeks October 4-5 Im planning on going Friday. Anyone else?

+1

Art

I might try to go the 4th as I have to work that weekend.....:censored2:

Leather Machine Company will be there! Meet Cobra Steve live and in person! Stop by and say :wave:!

The show is coming up in a few weeks October 4-5 Im planning on going Friday. Anyone else?

Is the show Oct. 4 -5 or Oct 5-6 ?

Thigpin, you are correct 5-6 of October Friday, saturday show.

Friday and Saturday, October 5-6.

Art

I'll have a booth there with my knives...please stop by and introduce yourself! It's one place where you're encouraged to play with sharp objects! :)

I'll be there +3

Somebody get some pictures of the saddle contest, please. I won't be able to make it this year. Time slipped thru my fingers.

Ross

I will be there Friday also I am staying at the Lexington suits

I'll be there both days, Friday and Saturday. Never have been and I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by lws380

I wonder why they don’t have the Saddle Makers Round Up on their event calendar?

http://www.wfmpec.com/events.php

CD in Oklahoma

Results of the saddle and boot making contests anyone??

Well, I was not impressed by the voting type of contest. I think results in the Novice class were wacko. Other classes were ok to disapointing. I was joined in this by others. But the vendor area was great.

Art

So what were the results? Anyone got links or pictures of the entries?

I made a couple of passes through the Vendor Area of the show during late morning Saturday, and things looked like they were really buzzing to me. Nearly every Vendor had people at their booth. I hope the sales went well too. It was between demonstrations though, because all of the chairs in the back of the room were empty.

This was my first time to the show, and just walking along through the smell and sight of so much new leather was a treat in itself. Thanks to all the Vendors that brought their wares. You don’t know how much you miss that smell until you’ve been away from it for a while. I brought a double shoulder home with me to tide me over until next year. I hope to go again.

I was looking for a few hand tools, and picked up some used punches and an old worn-out rawhide mall. The Vendor of the old mall and I both wondered if the rawhide might chip or crumble from age when used again, but I’m happy to report that I’ve used it on three punching/setting projects already, and it still works just fine. It’s a nice addition to my shop’s tools. I bought my first leather tools 45 years ago, but this is my first heavy mall.

Before I used it, I buffed the entire mall on a bench grinder brush, mainly to clean the rust off of the metal parts. But I also gave a light buffing to the rawhide and the wooden handle. It tended to give the rawhide a new surface, but I didn’t try to reshape it. Those flat spots and the one or two gouges won’t bother me a bit, and serve to remind me that someone else in the past spent a lot of time whanging on something, probably to make a living. One can only imagine what projects that old mall was in on. I believe that the Vendor said it came from Sheridan Wyoming, and it’s now back into service in Oklahoma.

CD in Oklahoma