lazybum

Cleanest Veg Tanned Leather?

Anybody knows where to look for the cleanest veg tanned leather? i.e. minimal scars, spots, stretch marks, fat marks etc.

I won't be tooling much, if at all, so whether they tool well or not will not matter very much.

Thanks!

Anybody knows where to look for the cleanest veg tanned leather? i.e. minimal scars, spots, stretch marks, fat marks etc.

I won't be tooling much, if at all, so whether they tool well or not will not matter very much.

Thanks!

I'm very happy with Wickett & Craig's leather. Their special and utility grades (#3 & #2 grades, respectively) are very nice & clean and from what I have heard their #1is even better but I haven't found a need to go higher than their #2. They usually have some of the #3 and occassionally the #2 in the overstock special pricing area for $100 per side.

http://www.wickett-craig.com/overstocked.html

I just got some of the Utility (#2) 6oz. that was on overstock and it was great.

Thanks!

If you want some that is reasonably priced and almost 100% free of defects, get a Single Bend from Tandy.

ferg

I have to go with Wickett & Craig too. The overstock sale is the right price, and thier #3 is cleaner than most #1's I've see from other suppliers.

Thanks for the replies! Ill try W&C on my next leather purchase. By the way is it possible to get the overstock special pricing if I order online? I don't live in the US you see.

@50yearsofleather

Ive seen your posts about the tandy single bends. Can I check are those vein marks or something at the bottom right part? Maybe I might get them the next time im ordering something from tandy.

Anyway are there other choices out there sold in thinner weights? im looking for 2-3oz and 4-5oz in particular. I understand that I can ask W&C to skive but I ask because sometimes those that are listed in thinner weights are cheaper.

Edited by lazybum

Thanks for the replies! Ill try W&C on my next leather purchase. By the way is it possible to get the overstock special pricing if I order online? I don't live in the US you see.

@50yearsofleather

Ive seen your posts about the tandy single bends. Can I check are those vein marks or something at the bottom right part? Maybe I might get them the next time im ordering something from tandy.

Nope, I was using a modeling spoon to see if the marks would stay in the soft leather plus ease of modeling.

ferg

Anyway are there other choices out there sold in thinner weights? im looking for 2-3oz and 4-5oz in particular. I understand that I can ask W&C to skive but I ask because sometimes those that are listed in thinner weights are cheaper.

@50yearsofleather

I believe if you order online and request the overstock in the comments it will work. Otherwise, drop them an email at info@wickett-craig.com and they can process manually.

They do occasionally have thinner sizes from other orders, etc. that's where the 6oz #2 overstock came from, so it's definitely worth asking.

Edited by Spinner

If you want the absolute cleanest hides of all then order backs and not sides in the top grade offered - yes you will pay more but you will be buying the best of the best.

While the W & C specials are attractive due to the price, they are not the best of the best. Again order backs from W & C or Herman Oak from anyone of their dealers.

YOu might also check with Roger at RJF leather - he offers shoulders and sides pit tanned in Portugal and Euro hides generally are cleaner in general than USA or SA hides. The samples he sent me looked and worked excellently - he will see business from me in the future.

If you want the absolute cleanest hides of all then order backs and not sides in the top grade offered - yes you will pay more but you will be buying the best of the best.

While the W & C specials are attractive due to the price, they are not the best of the best. Again order backs from W & C or Herman Oak from anyone of their dealers.

YOu might also check with Roger at RJF leather - he offers shoulders and sides pit tanned in Portugal and Euro hides generally are cleaner in general than USA or SA hides. The samples he sent me looked and worked excellently - he will see business from me in the future.

Good tip Chuck! I love learning new stuff. ;)