Here are a couple of extremely simple sheaths that I did with some scraps from other projects. You can't get much simpler than these but they are my first stitching efforts and I have learned a lot already. At this point I can tell that my awl work needs a lot of improvement and it will hopefully do that once I build my stitching pony. Both pieces are 2-3 oz. leather with mahogany dye and sewn with brown 277 poly thread.

My first was for a small Swedish pocket knife. The original sheath that it came in was exactly like this. I decided to not color the edges just to see how it looks and I kind of like it on this piece. The rounded end got a bit knackered up and close to the stitching.

post-40757-0-11988100-1384266521_thumb.j

The second is just a larger version of the sheath for my Parker shavette. This one went a little bit better but I screwed up my groove/spacing a little around the end, I didn't sew to the last spot on one end, and I keep making the end hole too big for a single pass of thread (vs. making the hole a little larger for the previous two which will have the back stitched double). This was also the first one that I glued together and I made a bit of a mess which helped my edges get a bit on the ugly side.

post-40757-0-32036600-1384266770_thumb.j

All in all these were very fun and rewarding easy projects :)

Dave

They look solid and should last for years!

They look solid and should last for years!

Thanks a bunch! It is pretty rare that you have something that is really needed (I need a sheath for both), really simple to do, and you really like the finished product. Usually at least one of the three is not there :)

Dave