Shooter McGavin

Iwb Holster Leather Thinckness?

I have a request for a "wing style" IWB holster for a Browning Hi Power. I was asked to use a "nice thin leather" for this build.

Just wondering what the LW.net mindhive would recommend?

6-7? 7-8?

Thanks!

For concealment holsters I use 6/7 for pretty much everything and my customers are happy.

My thinking is if 1/10" in slide thickness is important to me then the 10th of an inch you save using 6/7 vs 8-10oz is important too.

I only do summer special style IWB though, with the throat band. You will need something to stiffen the throat.

An example.

Dan

About a year ago - After reading Woolfe's reinforced mouth IWB tutorial, I took a crack at my 1st IWB holster. I made it for a buddy's CZ P-01 out of 4-5 oz Wickett & Craig (pic below), the belt loops (6-7 oz) are it's thickest leather component. I wasn't happy with the aesthetic appearance of it , it's thin enough to be easily pressed flat near the muzzle between index finger and thumb, and the reinforcement is only marginally effective at preventing collapse when the gun is drawn.

He swears by that original thin one though, he says it's the most comfortable IWB he's ever owned; more so than any of the 3 IWB's I've made him since then, even more comfortable than the difficult to make "flat molded" IWB I made him. The P-01 in that that holster is his everyday carry rig, go figure.

post-13064-036370200 1297298448_thumb.jp

IMG_1349.jpg

I use 7/8 oz with a reinforced mouth.

About a year ago - After reading Woolfe's reinforced mouth IWB tutorial, I took a crack at my 1st IWB holster. I made it for a buddy's CZ P-01 out of 4-5 oz Wickett & Craig (pic below), the belt loops (6-7 oz) are it's thickest leather component. I wasn't happy with the aesthetic appearance of it , it's thin enough to be easily pressed flat near the muzzle between index finger and thumb, and the reinforcement is only marginally effective at preventing collapse when the gun is drawn.

He swears by that original thin one though, he says it's the most comfortable IWB he's ever owned; more so than any of the 3 IWB's I've made him since then, even more comfortable than the difficult to make "flat molded" IWB I made him. The P-01 in that that holster is his everyday carry rig, go figure.

Olliesrevenge,

Your buddy is "spot on" when he says that the 4-5oz is the most comfortable IWB that he owns and its his everyday carry. The IWB holster is another "pocket" for a weapon that is shoved inside your trousers. Should the unfortunate occasion ever arise that the weapon has to be drawn a fired, the last thing that person is concerned about is re-holstering the weapon. Therefore, if is does "collaspe", that is a moot point. He probably is in the fight of his life and putting the weapon back, (probably hot) won't be the first thing on his mind. The next thing is "how about when I practice" and the thing collaspes with every draw. Its "practice" and you can work it out by using 2 hands to re-holster. The IWB holster is a "tool", like none other, that is used very seldom. The idea is to get it out quickly and put it into action, the "collaspe" part of it, in my opinion, is something that to many people dwell on in the IWB holster arena. I believe the "comfort" (to steal someones else's thunder "a gun isn't supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be "comforting") aspect of the thinner leather far outweights the "collaspe" issue. Again, just my opinion. Semper-fi Mike

if is does "collaspe", that is a moot point. ...The next thing is "how about when I practice" and the thing collaspes with every draw. ...

I hear you Mike, personally I don't have a problem carrying IWB in a holster that collapses when the gun is drawn. My buddy is in a unique situation, because I made him a really rigid "practice holster" that carries virtually identically to his primary holster, so he can practice to his hearts content with the benefit of one-handed re-holstering.

But the bottom line is that there are some shooting schools out there teaching that this is important, so the demand is there. In addition, a good number of people these days are getting their "practice" shooting IDPA, and using a non-collapsing IWB (if you choose to go IWB) holster in that sport is really convenient with the SO standing over your shoulder, and I imagine it would reduce the possibility of a DQ due to sweeping your weak hand while it is holding open your belt during re-holstering. Another downside of "collapsing" IWB's is that some untrained shooters (unfortunately I have even seen LEO's that fit this description) have a tendency to want to angle the muzzle in to their body to wedge it into the holster, thus sweeping their hips. Like you implied, ultimately it all boils down to training, and understanding your gear.

Strangely enough, I have yet to make myself one of these ultrathin IWB's. I should probably give it a try!

FWIW

Edited by olliesrevenge

The last thing I have worried about in deadly force encounter is re-holstering, where are you going to put the bad guys gun? If you disarm or neutralize a bad guy you can't just leave it on him or laying on the ground. I''ve taken a lot of guns off bad guys and the larger guns got jammed in my belt and the smaller ones got put in my pocket. The important issue is to make sure the gun is safe before doing this. All of the concealed carry guns I've carried, including my Glock 23, will fit in my front pocket. I want a comfortable holster and I could care less if it doesn't stay open, you have a deadly force encounter you are going to be giving it to the Po-Po soon enough.

Personally, I want mine to stay open.

If I need to use the gun, I want it back in the holster when the police show up. I don't want it on the ground, I don't want it stuffed into my waistband like they're used to seeing with scumbags, and I DAMNED sure don't want it to be in my hand -- whether or not I'm wrestling with a holster.

Shooter, I'm using 7/8oz for mine and I really like it. The holster is rigid enough to stay open at the mouth without the need for any reinforcement piece, and thin enough to hide very well. I've tried 6/7 and 8/9 in the past, and the 7/8, I think, is the best.

I've used 4/6oz for some IWB's in the past, and it definitely helps in keeping things slim, but will soften up over time, even after baking to harden it. Most of the time, that's not a problem for me, personally, but with bigger guns, I'd probably go with 7/8 or 8/9 oz.