AZ Pete

Braided Hat Band

Hi all -

I am going to make a hat band for a beaver felt hat. It is going to be made out of cowhide. I am going to do a 10-12 strand crocodile ridge braid. I would like the final width to be around 1.25". A few questions I have:

1) Is there a general calculation I would need to use to determine the width of the strands in order to acheive my final width of the band? I am pretty new to flat braids having dealt mostly with whip making.

2) I have read somewhere along the lines that I should not use any leather conditioner when braiding this piece because it might stain the hat. Should I not use anything on the leather at all??

3) Should I be concerned about dying the strands? Will that also potentially bleed on the hat?

Thanks to all for any input.

Regards,

Pete

The general calculation that I use is the width of the string times how many strings you braid. For instance, 1/8th(0.1250) x 10 = 1.25. But since you're doing a crocidile ridge braid you might end up having to add 2 more strings to make up for the ridge in the middle. I am not sure of that part yet myself. So you should experiment with some cheap lace first to find out for sure.

Using a conditioner or a soap is not a good idea for the felt that it will lay against. You might consider pre-conditioning the strings and letting them sit over night to dry out then braiding the next day. This might help out.

I'm no expert at dying leather. I buy all my leather already dyed the color I need. But I have heard that if you dye the hide you will have to seal it when done so that it does not bleed color.

Brian...

Edited by KnotHead

The general calculation that I use is the width of the string times how many strings you braid. For instance, 1/8th(0.1250) x 10 = 1.25. But since you're doing a crocidile ridge braid you might end up having to add 2 more strings to make up for the ridge in the middle. I am not sure of that part yet myself. So you should experiment with some cheap lace first to find out for sure.

Using a conditioner or a soap is not a good idea for the felt that it will lay against. You might consider pre-conditioning the strings and letting them sit over night to dry out then braiding the next day. This might help out.

I'm no expert at dying leather. I buy all my leather already dyed the color I need. But I have heard that if you dye the hide you will have to seal it when done so that it does not bleed color.

Brian...

Thanks, Brian! I will give that a try and add for the two ridge strings. I think you are right about the conditioning. The leather is so dry I am thinking of giving it a very light coating of dressing and letting it sit for a couple of days so it completely absorbs into the leather but gives me some conditioning. I plan on giving the whole thing a coat of Wyosheen after it is finished to help seal it up.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Regards,

Pete

No prob Pete.

B...