Sign in to follow this  
TwinOaks

removing unwanted programs

Howdy,

I really prefer IE7 over IE8 and have endeavored to keep it as my microsoft browser, but IE8 keeps rearing it's ugly head. The version that opens up is glitchy...I don't have all my tool buttons, and almost none of the buttons (favs, add to favs, any menu options) work. My biggest issue is that when it opens (yes, I tried it, then decided I didn't like it, and removed it before) NONE of my favorites are there. I've imported them before, and I've got them saved off to another file, but it's like 8 won't even recognize that 7 had all the goodies.

I know, I know, use FF....which I am, but for some things, I like IE.

Here's the problem: I went to the CP to use the add/remove function. It told me I couldn't remove IE8, because it couldn't copy some .dll file...can't find it. Well, I went and found it, and proceeded with the 'normal' extraction of the program. Now when I reload 7, it tells me that it can't install because a newer version is installed.

I went into program files/internet exploder and there it was. So I deleted it. It came back. Repeat, ad infinitum. I can't seem to make it go away.

Using the add/remove function, it doesn't even show up on the list, but somehow it's still in the system....and it won't go away.

I'm at the point that I believe the only way to 'kill' it is with some registry editting, but I'm woefully unskilled in that area, and understandably hesitant.

So....is there something simple I'm overlooking that can render an 'easy' fix, should I attempt the regedit, or is the simplest method to just use a soft restore point? I'm reluctant to do the last as I've upgraded a few things recently, and though the soft restore point isn't supposed to delete everything, I'm skeered I'll have to go through a couple of hours of updates.

...and on the same note, how do I get rid of the "genuine windows verification"...crap that pops up everytime I restart. It blatantly states that it can't be removed, but I know there has to be a way. I'm not using pirated software, strictly full legal versions of everything, and I don't trust microsoft and their "we're not collecting any information about you" statement.

I'm open to suggestions, and if need be, I'll drop a dime to make a call.

Thanks for your time,

Mike

Edited by TwinOaks

You know... there's a function in FF that lets you change the rendering engine of a tab, so the tab opens as if the browser was IE. Not sure if it's part of the program or if it's an extension, but right-click on a FF tab and see if there's a selection that says "Switch rendering engine." If you don't see it, let me know and I'll tell you what extensions I have.

I don't have it, Tasha.

I'm thinking maybe I'll just say "to hades" w/ IE and manually load all the favs from IE to the bookmarks.

But....I hate to concede defeat to microsoft.

I don't have it, Tasha.

I'm thinking maybe I'll just say "to hades" w/ IE and manually load all the favs from IE to the bookmarks.

But....I hate to concede defeat to microsoft.

Ah ha... you need the IE Tab extension:https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

Importing your favorites is easy: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_bookmarks...ternet_Explorer <-- no need to do it manually.

I don't think you're conceding defeat; it's more like walking away in disgust.

Well, the @$^#%$#% IE8 won't export anything because I can't find a 'file' or toolbar button that will work. C'est la vie!

's alright, though. When I fought this program the last time ( I guess I just got lucky with it) I saved all the favorites to a separate file :spot on: for just such a reason.

FF won't give me an option to import from anywhere other than IE, so I'll just have to manually open all the favs (in FF) then bookmark them.

I think I'll try reinstalling 8 to overwrite anything that's glitchy then attempt removal again.

Well, the @$^#%$#% IE8 won't export anything because I can't find a 'file' or toolbar button that will work. C'est la vie!

's alright, though. When I fought this program the last time ( I guess I just got lucky with it) I saved all the favorites to a separate file :spot on: for just such a reason.

FF won't give me an option to import from anywhere other than IE, so I'll just have to manually open all the favs (in FF) then bookmark them.

I think I'll try reinstalling 8 to overwrite anything that's glitchy then attempt removal again.

You can't totally remove IE from a Windows machine - it's software that's required by Windows, so you can give up trying to remove it.

You can, however, save your favorites as an HTML file and import that file into Firefox with little effort. I'm feeling saucy this evening, so I took some screenshots for you (we've got different OS's, but the process is still the same).

Click the 'Bookmarks' menu item and select 'Manage Bookmarks'

Picture_5.png

Select the little star-thingy and choose 'Import HTML'

Picture_4.png

Picture_2.png

Picture_3.png

Go find your saved HTML file and viola - all of your favorites as bookmarks in Firefox.

Also, you may find this interesting: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

specifically,

Important You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 8 if it is set as not removable. This occurs if you install Internet Explorer 8 before you install Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Windows XP. If this scenario applies to you, then you must uninstall SP3 before you can uninstall Internet Explorer 8. For more information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 950719 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950719/ ) You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8 after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3

Picture_1.png

post-6346-1246331364_thumb.png

post-6346-1246331371_thumb.png

post-6346-1246331376_thumb.png

post-6346-1246331381_thumb.png

post-6346-1246331458_thumb.png

Screw the whole thing! Download Google Chrome and run it. Much less overhead than IE.

Screw the whole thing! Download Google Chrome and run it. Much less overhead than IE.

Chrome is quick and it's based off of the webkit, so it renders properly. My only hangup with it is that Google pairs it's updater crap along with it and thus requires more ram. Safari isn't a bad choice, either.

Dick, I owe you a beer.

....but I'm still sticking w/ FF. I really dislike the idea of Microsoft telling me what I can and can't install or remove from my computer.

I'm still sticking w/ FF.

Damn skippy - that makes both of us.

I've been a loyal user of Mozilla products for years now.

Since browser topics seem to come up a lot, I thought I'd also share some info that many people probably don't know (or care) about. Those that know about IE's inability to read code can totally ignore the rest of this post.

*Disclaimer*

I don't work for any of these companies and the statement below are all of my own views. Take it or leave it - it's advice and it's free, and there are likely others who disagree with me.

I'm a web designer+developer (yes, left AND right brain) by trade. It's what I do for a full time gig, 9-5, and I've been doing it for several years. I like to think I'm pretty decent at it, and I take pride that my code (depending on who I'm working with) validates. As a designer/dev, I have to consider the big 3 every day. I'm not talking autos, but browsers - IE, Firefox, and Safari. As some of you know, IE has a big stink that seems to follow it wherever it goes. It's my experience that most folks complain about IE and Miscrosoft in general, but when prompted to move to a different platform, end up defending Windows (and, shutter..Vista) against Apple's OS X and the many wonderful flavors of Linux. So for those not in the know, here's the point - IE is simply wrong. In the web design world, we use different languages to code pages to do different things. In a perfect world, all browsers would interpret these languages the same, and all of our websites would look the same in all browsers. Well, the world isn't perfect and the one guy that skipped the most classes is IE. If you've ever been a hardcore IE user and fired up Firefox for the first time to go to your favorite site, only to realize that your site looks 'different' or 'wrong', you can consider yourself seeing that site interpreted properly for the first time. IE's ability to parse these languages is sketchy at best, as it spent most of it's time trying to score beer and sleeping in.

There's a standard by which the ability of browsers are judged for accuracy. It's called the ACID test. I encourage you to check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid3

It should be noted, that IE has NEVER PASSED an ACID test. This is the previous version over the latest and will be the most forgiving for those of you without the most up-to-date releases: http://acid2.acidtests.org/ Try it and see your results. (The latest test, Acid 3 is the one that counts the most, though.)

Because of IE's shortcomings, we developers typically have to write 2 different versions of files - 1 for IE and 1 for everything else. If this sounds like a major pain in the ass and wildly unecessary, it's because it is. By simply switching browsers, it's possible you'll experience better speed due to the lack of hack files needed to load pages properly in IE. As you know, we're currently dealing with IE8's crap, and designers are still supporting IE6 because die-hard Microsoftians refuse to switch. I ask you, what is it doing for you?

So, now that you know a little more about why people complain about IE and why it's a laughing stock in the web design community (if anyone claiming to be a web designer or developer says anything positive about IE, they are tricking you), I emplore you to look into an alternative that's ready to show you pages as they were meant to be seen.

My opinions about the big 3...

Mozilla's Firefox has been around the block and pretty much has it's sh$t together. It's a solid choice for speed and kick ass plugins that are free. It's available on nearly every OS, as well.

Google chrome is built off of the Safari engine WebKit. These two render pages nearly exactly the same (they both pass the Acid test), and are also very fine options. I use a Mac at home for work and fun, and thus opt for the built-in Safari gioven the choice between the two. I also use it (Safari) for testing on my Windows machine, and it's proven to be snappy and responsive.

I got into a screaming match with the IT director at a company I worked for when he said that FrontPage was the industry standard for making webpages. I die a little inside every time I see code generated by anything Windows.

I got into a screaming match with the IT director at a company I worked for when he said that FrontPage was the industry standard for making webpages. I die a little inside every time I see code generated by anything Windows.

Haha!!! I almost spit coffee at my laptop this morning while I read this! You made my day!