chazdillon

Singer 7-3 Question

I know someone selling a singer 7-3 but I haven't seen the machine in person. He said it had a reverse that was disabled. If anyone knows anything good or bad about the machine let me know. I'm really trying to find out how long the arm is, what size thread it can handle, how thick of leather can it sew, and I assume it's a flatbed machine. Thanks everyone.

Never heard or have seen a 7-3. 7-5/13/31/33/34, the 7-34 being the one "really" designed and equipped for sewing leather. I had a 7-33 or so and since I acquired the 441s there is a happy tent rental shop with those canoe footed buggers.

Art

I know someone selling a singer 7-3 but I haven't seen the machine in person. He said it had a reverse that was disabled. If anyone knows anything good or bad about the machine let me know. I'm really trying to find out how long the arm is, what size thread it can handle, how thick of leather can it sew, and I assume it's a flatbed machine. Thanks everyone.

Nobody puts specs of their machines for sale. Looking into cowboy 4500 but they may be out of stock by the time I get paid. Any other ideas for a machine that can handle thick threads, long enough arms for cartridge loops, and can handle 3/4". Thanks

Dealers have ads at the top of the page, just click and you will link to their website.

Art

Nobody puts specs of their machines for sale. Looking into cowboy 4500 but they may be out of stock by the time I get paid. Any other ideas for a machine that can handle thick threads, long enough arms for cartridge loops, and can handle 3/4". Thanks

I would be fairly confident that this machine never, ever had reverse.

It weighs about 168 pounds, is a flatbed and could possibly sew through 3/4" of plywood (possibly exaggerating there). It is the monster of machines but probably not what you want.

I would be fairly confident that this machine never, ever had reverse.

It weighs about 168 pounds, is a flatbed and could possibly sew through 3/4" of plywood (possibly exaggerating there). It is the monster of machines but probably not what you want.

Darrens got `er pegged pretty solid here. These things are a beast of a flat bed that will sew through nearly anything FLAT. Not scooped and very gradual or square flat corners.

I think the foot is 1-3/4 " long; unmodified it must cover 3/4" material as it passes under the foot.

That said, if it is heavy flat work you are doing it is the right machine. However, if you are building anything with a scoop or delicate corners you'll need another machine for that.

Predominantly these are used today for sewing nylon strapping material, multiple layers of heavy canvas or leather depending on how they are set up.

I see no reference to a 7-3. Not even in the double needle variety. My guess is you didn't get all the digits off the number plate.

There are a lot of them designated 7-3X. Like 7-33, 7-34, etc. they all had there different uses.

Here is a pic of mine in the process of being set up. Set up like you see it here it was sewing through the Sunday Tribune paper doubled over; ads and all without breathing hard.

I'm going to use this one for sewing canvas & leather together in thick, flat work I'm doing.

post-19538-018860100 1306431703_thumb.jp

Edited by simran