Hey all...question ~ I make custom dog collars & currently use double cap rivets brass or nic/br, but was wondering if the tubular rivets are stronger? and better to use, want the strongest for the tuff dogs out there....suggestions please & tx

post-20800-039464900 1302019652_thumb.jp

Personally, I haven't had great luck with the tubular rivets on collars I've made for my monsters. I ended up switching over to solid copper rivets. Takes longer, but the leather will turn to dust before the rivet comes apart. My 2 cents.

Personally, I haven't had great luck with the tubular rivets on collars I've made for my monsters. I ended up switching over to solid copper rivets. Takes longer, but the leather will turn to dust before the rivet comes apart. My 2 cents.

Copper rivets...what if you have the "silver" look or brass? what do you use then?

i make small dog harnesses and i've been using screws instead of rivets. The main reason i use screws is b/c i don't sew any of the harness it's all held together by screws and instead of using a metal d ring as a strap keeper (near the buckles) i use left over leather for the strap keepers. It's much easier to affix the leather strap keeper to the harness using a screw verses a rivet b/c the female part of the screw or rivet is dirrectly under the strap keeper. i tried using my rivet press to affix the strap keeper but the strap keeper partially obstructs the rivet die. I'd definately prefer to use rivets b/c they cost a lot less than the screws I'm currently using.

The up side to using screws is that they are much easier to install and I can take the entire harness apart if I want to clean it. i read some comments in the forum about how screws can irritate the dog but i haven't had that problem with my own dogs (and one of them is almost hairless). I do like the idea of solid rivets but I'd probably have the same problem with the strap keepers.

Copper rivets...what if you have the "silver" look or brass? what do you use then?

I should have paid better attention to your photo. My collars and leashes are strictly utilitarian and are used in training and competition, so I'm not using conchos and the like (bling?) The vast majority of my work is in black so the copper looks good. I hand-stitch everything and the rivets are added for strength/safety. Because of the type of training I do with my dogs (K-9 and military), I couldn't trust screws, but I can see their worth. Sorry if I deflected from your issues.

Edited by Spence