Handstitched

Cane Toads & Cane Toad Leather

G'Day,

Amongst my many leather talents, I can also make various leather goods from Cane Toad leather.

I'll attach some pics from my photo page.

I do get a lot of pre-made Cane Toad leather goods like bags, wallets etc. from a taxidermist, but I can also obtain the skins as well to make a lot of my own Cane toad leather goods. The skins can come in a variety of colours.

They are very easy to work with, and , depending on the project, some parts of the skins can be sewn using a domestic machine (with a leather needle), however, because the Cane Toad secretes a toxin from glands near the head, that part is often quite thick & tough ( after tanning) and care needs to be taken not to break a needle when sewing that part.

It does take a little time to trim and arrange the skins,( if making large items) and to sort them as each skin has a *different texture ( *after tanning ,also, males & females have different textures), so a project may take longer than usual to make, but the end result is worth it.

When I make anything from cane toad skins ,I just trim the daggy bits off, I then glue each piece into place and then sew, a bit like putting a jigsaw puzzle together.

Most of the items in the pics are pre-made, but some of my own items are, stubby holders, barrettes, BIC lighter cases, books covers, tobacco pouches and asstd. small items.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40990121@N05/6828793379/in/photostream/

Have a browse at the other Cane Toad pics on my photo page.:yes:

Enjoy:yes:

best regards

HS

post-7215-022752700 1328528455_thumb.jpg

post-7215-088465900 1328528494_thumb.jpg

G'Day,

Amongst my many leather talents, I can also make various leather goods from Cane Toad leather.

I'll attach some pics from my photo page.

I do get a lot of pre-made Cane Toad leather goods like bags, wallets etc. from a taxidermist, but I can also obtain the skins as well to make a lot of my own Cane toad leather goods. The skins can come in a variety of colours.

They are very easy to work with, and , depending on the project, some parts of the skins can be sewn using a domestic machine (with a leather needle), however, because the Cane Toad secretes a toxin from glands near the head, that part is often quite thick & tough ( after tanning) and care needs to be taken not to break a needle when sewing that part.

It does take a little time to trim and arrange the skins,( if making large items) and to sort them as each skin has a *different texture ( *after tanning ,also, males & females have different textures), so a project may take longer than usual to make, but the end result is worth it.

When I make anything from cane toad skins ,I just trim the daggy bits off, I then glue each piece into place and then sew, a bit like putting a jigsaw puzzle together.

Most of the items in the pics are pre-made, but some of my own items are, stubby holders, barrettes, BIC lighter cases, books covers, tobacco pouches and asstd. small items.

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Have a browse at the other Cane Toad pics on my photo page.:yes:

Enjoy:yes:

best regards

HS

Would you be interested in selling some skins? I'm looking for some toad skins to use as accents on some things...

If Handstitched doesn't want to sell you toad skins, they are available from Birdsall http://birdsall-leather.com.au/home.php?cat=97 I buy a bit of stuff from them and they are good to deal with.. but I am in Australia as well.

Natalie

Give Springfield a call as well. They didn't have it listed on their site, but they told me about it when I was on the phone with them asking what they had in stock. I bought one skin for a holster a while back - I think I paid about $15 if memory serves.

If Handstitched doesn't want to sell you toad skins, they are available from Birdsall http://birdsall-leat...home.php?cat=97 I buy a bit of stuff from them and they are good to deal with.. but I am in Australia as well.

Natalie

Sorry for the delayed response.

I have an account with Birdsall Leather. They have been very helpful right from the very first day I started leatherwork over 8 years ago. They help anyone from a beginner, to the advanced ( I once was a beginner, but I'm now somewhere in between) .

I also have an account with the Cane Toad skin wholesaler .

best regards

HS

:thumbsup: