halfwit

I Need More Of This Type Of Leather But Have No Clue What It Is. :(

A coworker saw the bolt bag I made and wear on my harness and asked me to make him one. My only problem is I bought the leather from a local leather store and have no idea what it is(BTW he charges 10$sqft for all his leather). Its from my judgement about 10-11oz, approx 1/8" but its very flimsy and malleable. The pic below demonstrates how flexible it is.

post-44597-0-52265700-1379631476_thumb.j

Looks to me like it's a chrome tan leather. 5/6 ounce generally is as thick as you will find it. Springfield leather has it. 10.00 a foot is way high IMO.

Maybe chrome tanned Buffalo! It is very soft, but very strong! -- Tex

It's always tough to find the exact leather again as skins vary amongst each other

You are getting overcharged IMHO for that leather unless it is an exotic skin

I can get USA made Horween Chromexel , arguably one of the nicest leathers to work with, for $8-$9 sq ft all the way up in Canada

Thanks for the input y'all. So is it the "chrome" tanning that gives leather its flexibility? I don't really need the exact leather, I just need something similar in its thickness and flexibility. Oh and when I bought this leather I had no idea its actual worth. And the guy that sold it to me owns a leather shop and isn't really a distributer but instead sells the things he's crafted. He sells all of his leather 10$sqft no matter the weight or quality to ignorant people(like I was) that don't know any better.

Ya it looks like chrome tanned leather. Could be cow, goat whatever... soft and flexible.

I am sure you can find something similar if you go to a Tandy store or give Springfield Leather a phone call..they will help you out.

Good luck