HCEarwicker

Nubuck Newbie Needing Advice

Hi all!

Firstly, I'm a consumer, not a craftsman. I am very fond of leather though, and I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

I've just bought a pair of brushed nubuck brogue-style shoes. Very nice they are, too:

http://www.ecco-shoe...-Seaside-Coffee

As you can hopefully see (although it may not be very clear in the picture), the toe-cap and the heel have been treated so that they have a semi-gloss finish, similar to oiled nubuck (?), while the rest of the shoe has been left as natural, brushed, matt nubuck. The treatment, I assume, is for protection from scuffs etc. Thing is...

I want to extend the treatment to the whole of the punched, decorated brogue front/top panel (and maybe to the panel holding the eye-holes for the laces, too), so that I end up with a pair of 'spectator'/'correspondent' style brogues, with contrasting smooth and shiny/brushed and matt panels.

I have no special equipment and I'm assuming...hoping...that the toe-cap and heel have simply been waxed or treated with a cream to give it that semi-gloss/eggshell finish - what should I use, and how should I use it, to achieve the same effect?

I'd be very very grateful for any help.

Malcolm

Not to worry...

A leather upholsterer in London has come to the rescue. He gave me the confidence to follow some (vague) advice I'd read on the net: 'if you want to make nubuck shiny, treat it like ordinary leather; use wax/polish...a few coats."

So I've slowly, carefully treated the selected areas with clear saddle soap. Perfect. Looks great. Takes the colour down, of course, but that's what I wanted. As it's that simple, I guess my question was pretty stupid in the first place... unless I've gone and buggered it all up by doing it the wrong way. But it looks fine.

Just thought I'd update for the benefit of any other leather ignoramuses/ignorami passing through :winkiss: