Sign in to follow this  
Kustom

Zipper Making Tools Helpful?

I'm about to start making zippers from zipper tape. Are the special tools (zipper jig, zipper end stop pliers) worth it, or should I just use regular pliers? What tools do you use?

Thanks, Steve

I try to always stitch the ends down instead of using the end stops. But it depends on your project. I have also found that when making a zippered folder, measure and start attaching the zipper in the middle on both covers, and working both directions to avoid having a twisted folder when finished. Use double sided tape or lots of clips to keep it all in place while doing the final assembly and stitching.

Tom

a compass scratching the correct distance parallel to the edge of the leather is the way that works well for me.

I usually cut the length I need from zipper tape too and only use regular needlenose pliers to remove unnecessary teeth. I used to just stitch the ends together too, but found that using the stops holds everything a bit more stable and looks more finished, to me anyway. I use pliers and a small tack hammer to set the stops. So, I guess the answer to your question would be that the specialty tools are not needed but, I would think, may make the job easier.

Thanks for the replies. It's a little over $100 for stop pliers and a jig. I think I'll just go ahead and order them.