billymac814

Need New Edger Maybe

My edger is one of my most used tools but I have had problems with it not cutting a clean edge. The first one I bought from Tandy and it seems to work ok on some scrap Herman Oak that I have, the other one I got from Springfield and it is the Keen edge one that's slightly different. I prefer it over the other one. I use Wickett & Craig leather and both of them seem to kind of tear the leather instead of making a nice clean cut. Is there anything I can do to make either of them work or do I need to find a better one, and if so what kind? I've tried stropping them by putting rouge on the corner of some scrap leather and then running the edger backwards, but this doesn't seem to help either.

Try some wet dry sand paper get a assorted grit pack or a set of jewlers files. I use both of them quite a bit and they work fine for sharping edgers. You will probley need to strop it afterwards.

I'm in the same boat: the edgers need a good sharpening, not just stroping.

Depending on type of edger, the different sharpening may be needed. I have seen a common edger (Osborne, not Tandy type) ruined by using sandpaper over needle file instead of over dowel of proper diameter - file fits between the "toes" and widens the gap, making this edger two sizes bigger.

Some use Dremel with fine bit instead of leather with rouge, other use rough cutting rouge. I don't know where to get it. The fine polishing rouge is more available. Other forum posted this link (pdf) on how to work with Dremel, looks like Verlane in address.

Keen edger, I don't have it, seems like as a round bottom edger. Use the rod of a slightly smaller diameter is covered by grey wet-dry 600 grit sandpaper. I would moisten sandpaper, otherwise you risk to make a bell shape with wide edges. Then more fine sandpaper, up to 4000 and then rouge for polishing.

I have seen advice to find the sharpening stone of the size and shape of the edger, tried, this is just not possible.

Edited by Ellen