Chief31794

Mexican Round Braid Tutorial

A couple of folks asked if I would do a video on Round Braid AKA Mexican Basket Weave. I created the videos and posted them on YouTube. Part 1-4. This concentrates on:

Starting the lacing.

Going around Corners

Splicing in new Lace

Closing the lace

The videos themselves are pretty bad, spent too much time between the project and the camera but I think it's better than last time and as I said, I got a couple of PMs and some folks on Youtube that wanted me to produce this set as I said I would in the first series on Double Loop Stitch. the four videos are:

Round Braid Part I

Round Braid Part II

Round Braid Part III

Round Braid Part IV

Thanks,

Ken

Good work Ken. I think there will be a number of people happy to see this tutorial. I think I'm about to try Mexican Round Braid on a project soon.

These videos are far from bad. Your video shooting has improved since the first set. Better lighting and contrast. When you have to take the project off the stitching pony (or don't want to use such a prop to force you to stay in the frame) try setting up a wire frame that will be just outside your camera frame. Then you will have a reference to help you stay in the frame.

For a couple training videos I was involved in about 20 years ago, we decided not to spend a lot of time building a fancy script. Funds were in short supply. So we did 2 shoots. The first one, I walked through performing the 'operation' and describing what I was doing. Then we walked through again, using the first one as a script, got lighting and camera angles setup and did the second shoot (recording the plant background sounds, but no narration). Then they used a professional reader for voice over and cleaned up the video editing. You might be able to do something similar so you can narrate without having to struggle with the lacing at the same time. Describe what you are doing as you shoot, then go back and replace the sound with your new polished narration.

You are picking up this video stuff quite quickly. Your previous experience with photography is probably a big help. Keep up the good work Ken. I much prefer seeing videos with narration that tells what a person is doing, rather than a loud or distracting music track.

And for those of you that missed it before, here is a link to Ken's previous video Lacing Tips.

CTG

Thanks Ken, I need all the instruction i can get. great job. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thanks Ken, I need all the instruction i can get. great job. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thanks Bluesman, I appreciate the encouragement.

Ken

Good work Ken. I think there will be a number of people happy to see this tutorial. I think I'm about to try Mexican Round Braid on a project soon.

These videos are far from bad. Your video shooting has improved since the first set. Better lighting and contrast. When you have to take the project off the stitching pony (or don't want to use such a prop to force you to stay in the frame) try setting up a wire frame that will be just outside your camera frame. Then you will have a reference to help you stay in the frame.

For a couple training videos I was involved in about 20 years ago, we decided not to spend a lot of time building a fancy script. Funds were in short supply. So we did 2 shoots. The first one, I walked through performing the 'operation' and describing what I was doing. Then we walked through again, using the first one as a script, got lighting and camera angles setup and did the second shoot (recording the plant background sounds, but no narration). Then they used a professional reader for voice over and cleaned up the video editing. You might be able to do something similar so you can narrate without having to struggle with the lacing at the same time. Describe what you are doing as you shoot, then go back and replace the sound with your new polished narration.

You are picking up this video stuff quite quickly. Your previous experience with photography is probably a big help. Keep up the good work Ken. I much prefer seeing videos with narration that tells what a person is doing, rather than a loud or distracting music track.

And for those of you that missed it before, here is a link to Ken's previous video Lacing Tips.

Thanks Northmount,

I used your tips from the last time to work on this one. They helped. I hope someone gets something out of this, if it helps one person learn to do this lacing technique then that's good.

Ken

CTG

1. this is awesome, it just so happens that i have to do this on a roper wallet and i've never done it before and had no clue how. Thank you soooooooooo much Ken!

1. this is awesome, it just so happens that i have to do this on a roper wallet and i've never done it before and had no clue how. Thank you soooooooooo much Ken!

No Problem, glad it helped.

Chief

i tried for the first time the double loop lacing...............only to find out that there is a right side and wrong side to start on. naturally i started on the wrong side :rofl:

oh well, it still looks really good.

today i'm going to try another trucker wallet and use your tutorial to do it,. when i get it right i'll start on the custom roper wallet. it's my first from scratch wallet.

GAH!!! Ken, you removed your videos?? HELP!!! I didn't get to do the lacing yet. just starting it today and the videos are gone!! Please put them back?

A couple of folks asked if I would do a video on Round Braid AKA Mexican Basket Weave. I created the videos and posted them on YouTube. Part 1-4.

Hey Chief, where did the videos go?

Tom

Hey Chief, where did the videos go?

Tom

GAH!!! Ken, you removed your videos?? HELP!!! I didn't get to do the lacing yet. just starting it today and the videos are gone!! Please put them back?

I didn't think anyone was still watching them. I got a couple of very negative comments about this particular set so I thought they weren't doing any good. I can put them back, sorry for the inconvenience.

I didn't think anyone was still watching them. I got a couple of very negative comments about this particular set so I thought they weren't doing any good. I can put them back, sorry for the inconvenience.

I see a number of negative comments on some very good videos. There are some people out there that have nothing better to do than pull others down and make negative comments. Don't let them get to you. There are a lot of people that appreciate your instruction and comments. I hope you keep helping everyone.

I appreciate your work and comments.

Tom

The videos are back up and running, sorry for any inconvenience. I'll post the addresses in a separate post, this one is giving me fits. Chief Edited by Chief31794

Guys, this web site will not let me post links to the youtube videos, it tells me that I've uploaded more media files than I am authorized to do, although I'm a contributing member and have unlimited file upload, I don't know what's going on. The best thing to do is search Youtube for chief31794 or Mexican Round Braid the first will bring up all my leather videos and the second should just bring up the four volumes of this topic. Chief

Edited by Chief31794

Just bookmarked them on you tube for future reference.

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to produce these, it is immensely helpful to watch someone do it.

Don't worry about what some u-tuber a-holes say in the comments, seems that the lowest of the slime troll there.

THANK YOU CHIEF!!! you have no idea how valuable these are to new comers. and thank you so much for taking the time and caring enough to create them and to put them back up on you tube.

you should not be apologizing to us.. the idiots that made the negative comments should be apologizing to you! it takes all kinds Ken, even the ones that make a hobby out of trying to put others down to cover up there own inadequacies.

Thank you so much for being the kind of person you are and sharing your great talent and knowledge with those of us who appreciate you.

Jan

Hey Chief

I just wanted to say i posted your instructional videos to my forum

http://chattownleatherheads.proboards.com/thread/14/mexican-round-braid-video-tutorial

Thanks for taking the time to do this sir. I watched several of them yesterday, decided I am going to learn this technique just cause it looks fun. I felt the video was just what I needed to explain it.

Thanks again.

I have watched the videos. In the videos, the braid goes all the way around the perimeter of the piece. What I would like to do is one edge of a holster, e.g. where the finishing end does not lace back into the starting end. I can start fine (inside of 3, over to 1, over to 4, etc...). I have practiced that a few times.

How do I finish the other end?

Also, a good source of flat braid would be of great help. Thanks!

The Big Swan, you viewed these today? I have tried a few times to view the videos Chief posted and also the link that St8line posted and keep getting a broken link. I'll have to try again using another browser.

Video 1 =

Video 2 =

I just watched them. Browser was Firefox.

Leatherworker.net doesn't let me post the other two at the same time. But if you can get to one of them, you can find all of them.

Edited by The Big Swan

Thanks Chief. I watched the first video and tried it just based on what I had saw and found it to be fairly easy once I got going. I posted my attempt in Critique My Work section. Then I found that you had posted the proper method for use starting and stopping the lacing without completing the circuit. Will have to try again as I plan on using this style lacing on a holster in the near future.

Chief, I know this is an older thread but just wanted to say thanks for the videos. I'm working on a wedding album for my cousin as a wedding gift and the videos for splicing and turning the corner especially were very helpful. Kingsmere just doesn't explain it very well

Chief, I know this is an older thread but just wanted to say thanks for the videos. I'm working on a wedding album for my cousin as a wedding gift and the videos for splicing and turning the corner especially were very helpful. Kingsmere just doesn't explain it very well

Thanks, I appreciate the comments, make sure you post pictures of the wedding album.

Chief