tossik

Singer 111W153 -Worth Getting?

Hi everyone, I'm still on my quest of getting a sewing machine. While looking for a medium heavy cylinder machine for larger bags and layered bags, I came across the opportunity of picking this machine up for $200.

Is this machine worth the price? What are its limitations? Thinnest and thickest thread? Maximum stitches per inch? What would one typically use this for?

I was originally thinking of grabbing a 31-15 machine, but this came up first.

Your guy's advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

post-41354-0-76759400-1426382811_thumb.j

post-41354-0-90737500-1426382828_thumb.j

post-41354-0-10565000-1426382840_thumb.j

post-41354-0-82440800-1426382863_thumb.j

It obviously needs some TLC but when the machine is functional I´d say for $200 I think is not too bad. But maybe you can beat down the price a little bit. You probably have to invest in a new servo motor and maybe a speed reducer. The machine has no reverse. I would guess it can sew 7-9mm thick (I have a 111G156 and it sews 9mm w/o problems). The max. stitch length usually is 5 SPI on these older 111 machines. I can sew up to 207 thread with mine but usually they are set up for 138 with a size 22 needle. Check the condition of the timing belt. Replacing it causes a lot of work but it is doable.

Always test a machine before you buy it!!!

C,

I think the max. stitch length on the 111W153 an no reverse should be 6.5mm. $200.00 is a decent price and you can still get most of the parts.

glenn

I set up a 111w153 for a friend of mine. It needed about $90 in replacement parts, which included a new timing belt and smooth bottom presser feet, bobbins, needles, etc. He still needs to buy a servo motor with a 2" pulley and a shorter v-belt before he can actually control it. That will cost another $125 or so. The one in the photos looks to have all the parts on it. But, as was noted earlier, the timing belt needs to be checked to see if it is cracked and going or gone.

I have a long body version of the machine and it too has no reverse. I use the Poor Man's Reverse (spin the work 180º), or with the needle up, lift the feet with the knee lever, pull the work forward a half inch and sew over the last few stitches.

The stitch length adjustment is alien to most people. It is changed by turning a big knob on the back of the hand wheel. Turning it inward shortens the stitches and outward lengthens them. The range of adjustment is set inside the top of the head, under the long rectangular cover plate. There are two threaded chambers on a block that moves as the adjuster is turned. One has a wide, flat screw that holds down a strong spring, which you don't want to unscrew unless an invasion is taking place! The other chamber has two set screws that take a narrow flat head screwdriver. The top screw is the set screw. The bottom one that actually makes contact with the turning adjuster moves up to lengthen and down to shorten the range of adjustment. The set screw keeps that range locked in.

Machine is not threaded and I have no idea how to thread it to test it out. Should I risk getting it for $200? Should I save the money and look for something else?

Thanks for all the advice so far!

I would buy it but would try to beat down the price a little bit.

I have attached a manual for this machine.

This Video is quite interesting for you I think - its for the 111w151 (needle feed) but it is very similar to the 111w153 (compound feed / triple feed)

111W152_153_154_155.pdf

Edited by Constabulary

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:31 PM by tossik....I came across the opportunity of picking this machine up for $200.

Did you buy the machine?

I would consider that a good deal. It’s a good heavy duty machine comparable to the 111W155, with just a slightly lower foot lift. I paid over $300 for mine, but the shipping was a steal. (It was in the garage 2 doors down the street from me.)

With a few adjustments and a couple of missing/damaged parts replaced, it sews like a stripped ape. Of course, that could be because of the 3470 RPM clutch motor in its power stand. (The speed was a plus when I re-sewed all of the seams on a large swimming pool cover.)

CD in Oklahoma

No I never got it. I went and got a Juki DNU-241HS the other day :) Super excited. I will be getting it serviced this week to make sure everything is running properly. Thanks for all the recommendations!

It appears he has that 111W in the video set up with a round leather belt running it (around 6:40 or so you can see it in the background). Can we still buy leather belting larger than what's used on home treadle machines? This looks to be bigger than 3/16ths.

It obviously needs some TLC but when the machine is functional I´d say for $200 I think is not too bad. But maybe you can beat down the price a little bit. You probably have to invest in a new servo motor and maybe a speed reducer. The machine has no reverse. I would guess it can sew 7-9mm thick (I have a 111G156 and it sews 9mm w/o problems). The max. stitch length usually is 5 SPI on these older 111 machines. I can sew up to 207 thread with mine but usually they are set up for 138 with a size 22 needle. Check the condition of the timing belt. Replacing it causes a lot of work but it is doable.

Always test a machine before you buy it!!!

BEAT the price down? Does that mean that EVERYTHING you sell is priced to have the price BEATEN down? Like if you price something at $100,00 you expect to be offered $40.00 and you will gladly take $60.00? After all every person with any sense treats others as they expect to be treated don't they?

Wow, cat skin take it easy. I think you are comparing apples to oranges here.

When I sell one of my goods, I act as a store front. When someone is selling on Craigslist that is same as an online garage sale. If you pay full price on CL without even asking to drop the price then I think you got the concept all wrong.

I backed off the $200 sale that started with a $600 listing on Craigslist. I got a call last night from the seller and he's offering to sell for $160 now.

So yes, CL is made to barter/haggle. My online or personal "storefront" is not that place.

Wow, cat skin take it easy. I think you are comparing apples to oranges here.

When I sell one of my goods, I act as a store front. When someone is selling on Craigslist that is same as an online garage sale. If you pay full price on CL without even asking to drop the price then I think you got the concept all wrong.

I backed off the $200 sale that started with a $600 listing on Craigslist. I got a call last night from the seller and he's offering to sell for $160 now.

So yes, CL is made to barter/haggle. My online or personal "storefront" is not that place.

Where on the first post does it say it is on Craigslist or any other junk site? I am referring to private sellers pricing things at what they feel they are worth.

While you likely do not, I respect sellers right to price the things they have for at what they feel they are worth and I take them or not. Just as I feel I deserve that same respect.

You are more than welcome to say no. And even on people's websites those who want to attract attention offer discount codes and specials. So yes, people lower prices all the time. Nothing new and it's never gonna stop.

If you are pricing fairly then there won't be people asking to lower price. But if you're asking 400% more than it's worth then who is being fair then??

I just saw an ad listing Singer 31-20 for $2000 on Craigslist. I emailed them asking if there's a mistake in the price. But no, they believe that the machine is worth that because their repair man said so. They called it an antique and despite me giving her reference links to its worth, they didn't budge.

Was I being unfair? Was I haggling? I was gonna pay full value, but when someone is trying to gain from others' lack of knowledge, then it is you the seller that become "unfair"!

Hey Ole South. To answer your leather belt question, yes you can get larger leather belting. I buy 5/16" for several of my specialty machines in the factory. I get mine from Universal Sewing Supply or DSI Sunbrand.

Regards, Eric

Thanks Eric.

BEAT the price down? Does that mean that EVERYTHING you sell is priced to have the price BEATEN down? Like if you price something at $100,00 you expect to be offered $40.00 and you will gladly take $60.00? After all every person with any sense treats others as they expect to be treated don't they?

I don´t see the problem. Thats really comparing apples with oranges.

Why not asking for a better price? It does not matter where or from whom you are buying something. I of course do not ask in the supermarket but in case of a supermarket I could choose where to buy. But when I´m buying "larger goods" or "larger volumes" I often ask for a better price and sometimes I don´t get a better price but at least something on top. Negotiation in trades is a common procedure and thousands of years old. I just can spend my money once and I always try to get the most out of it - just as most of us. This has nothing to do with respect. But I respect your opinion. Good luck!

I very seldom buy anything but groceries without asking for a better price. It has become a joke with my friends and wife, but it has also saved me a lot of money.

Catskin, I hope you never go to a gun show. You will get mad and leave before you even walk in the door!

I appreciate your opinion, but I wouldn't think twice about getting a better price on an item like this.

By the way, to the OP, if you can get this machine for $160, jump on it. It is worth that in parts.

Edited by BigMatt

I guess I was somewhat misunderstood. To me BEATING implies using insult and intimidation. I prefer respect on both sides. And it has not hurt me. It seems ALMOST every person on here complains that they can't get the money to buy the machines they want or claim they need. My problem is more like I buy more machines then I need just because I CAN. So using my system, as some might call it paying full price has made both profit and earned me respect.

Not everybody is in the comfortable situation of being able to pay any price at all times. And I´m sure you know that if you don´t run around blindfolded. "Beating down the price" is a common term or isn´t it? I consider it as an acronym for "negotiating the price". If I used the wrong term - my fault (probably).

You really pay any price because of earning respect? Come on...

What is a private deal? Some one has something for sale - you need what he has (or just like to have it) - you drive 100 miles - pay the money - drive away - you will probably never see him again - do you really think a private seller cares about who you are or pays you respect because you paid his price? Not really! Within a week or so he even forgot your name!

Well - I think its a point of view. There is no right or wrong. You like to pay the full price for some reason - others like to "beat down a price" for some reason. You made your statements and others made theirs. Not worth making a lot of words and TOSSIK already bought a different machine... :)

Edited by Constabulary

Not everybody is in the comfortable situation of being able to pay any price at all times. And I´m sure you know that if you don´t run around blindfolded. "Beating down the price" is a common term or isn´t it? I consider it as an acronym for "negotiating the price". If I used the wrong term - my fault (probably).

You really pay any price because of earning respect? Come on...

What is a private deal? Some one has something for sale - you need what he has (or just like to have it) - you drive 100 miles - pay the money - drive away - you will probably never see him again - do you really think a private seller cares about who you are or pays you respect because you paid his price? Not really! Within a week or so he even forgot your name!

Well - I think its a point of view. There is no right or wrong. You like to pay the full price for some reason - others like to "beat down a price" for some reason. You made your statements and others made theirs. Not worth making a lot of words and TOSSIK already bought a different machine... :)

No, Beating down the price is being physical and verbal until you take the item for free! :)

Yes, got a different machine, and although I asked for less, the seller did not budge. I still came to get the machine (1.5 hour drive one way) and when I got there, the seller gave me about $400 worth of leather tools and thread for free on top of the machine. I was (still am) super happy!