Frankqv

Ga5 Bobbin Tension

I was practically given, a Never been used GA 5. When I went to set it up to sew 207/277 bottom top for sewing Belts,the tension screw had no affect on the tension. I had to take off the spring piece and give it a bend on the ends,that allowed me to set the tension. Also the tab that holds the tension screw from getting loose stuck out to far and was catching the bobbin thread when th shuttle rotated.

Fixed all that runs good.

My question is,is that common ,with the number of 45ks built over the years the system must be proven. I'm pretty sure they were set up to do a task and rarely changed.Was this one just a non QA'ed Chinese piece. I don't want to fight it when I switch between 277 and 346 for the top

I have an Aerostitch I use for holsters and it has a lock screw to lock the tension screw.The shuttle looks like the 45k shuttle,does anyone know if it would fit the GA5'takes the long Bobbin

Any comments woul be appreciated

They are a different thickness & don't interchange.We stock GA-5 parts.

I'll give you a call next week Bob

Sometimes the back end of the GA5 spring is too long and needs to be ground off to fit properly but it varies between shuttle assemblies. Start by backing the tension right off and slowly working it down.

Thanks Darren

The spring was to long, As you tightened ,it bowed the middle that tensions. A little grind and now as you tighten it tensions

Thanks again