Hello All .... I finished up this Horween wallet......pretty simple design based on wallets I have owned (Saddleback etc.).......Horween Chromexel horsestrip & horsefront. Sewn on my Cowboy 3200. Not sure how it will wear....if it is too thick etc. I know that once this leather breaks it is wonderful.....Critique away!

IMG_5042_zpslxkha23t.jpg

IMG_5041_zpslkiwgzwa.jpg

IMG_5034_zpsap5nwyjx.jpg

Edited by dfrensdorff

Wow, it looks great! I might try something similar with some horween scraps I bought!

Can I ask you a few questions on how you sewed it? I am looking to get a sewing machine soon! Did you groove a line before sewing (it just sits so well)? What kind of thread did you use? Do you backtack on the machine too? How did you get such a even edge (guide?)?

Wow, it looks great! I might try something similar with some horween scraps I bought!

Can I ask you a few questions on how you sewed it? I am looking to get a sewing machine soon! Did you groove a line before sewing (it just sits so well)? What kind of thread did you use? Do you backtack on the machine too? How did you get such a even edge (guide?)?

Thank you jh ... It is sewn on Cowboy 3200 with 207 nylon bonded thread, and using an edge guide. I do not "groove" a stitch line, but I do scratch a line in that may help seat the thread a bit. I did not back stitch on this wallet (although I have on others).....I snip the thread ends and then singe with a lighter.

Thanks so much for your reply! It's so helpful!!! I think it's nicer not backstitched. How are you liking your cowboy? Would you recommend it?

I like the Cowboy. There is a bit of a learning curve, especially when you are changing thread as well as thickness of leather. I would recommend it, especially at the price.

I really like the wallet, simple and has a well worn look. Nice work.

Jim

looks very nice. I use a soldering iron to seal /cut my thread ends.. and sometimes a little beeswax

looks very nice. I use a soldering iron to seal /cut my thread ends.. and sometimes a little beeswax

Thanks all........I like the soldering iron idea.......I'm looking for a way to seal and conceal the thread ends. I do not like the look of the reversing....what is the beeswax used for re. the thread sealing?

Are there card pockets in the inside middle with decorative stitching or are those accents? Did you skive down the edges? I have issues with that many layers of horse being kinda thick.

Great work!

Thanks will46er......if I am understanding your question, there are two pockets on the inside of the bi fold. They have stitching, simply to match the other stitching. I do not alive.....and yes, it can be a bit thick, but with this horween chromexcel, it breaks in and becomes very nice.

Dfrensdorff,

I am on the fence looking at Horween - bovine chromexcel. The material is beautiful.... Staying away from horse; although that seems to be the most incredible material!

Your project is nicely done!

Any advise on the Horween?

Thanks

Dfrensdorff,

I am on the fence looking at Horween - bovine chromexcel. The material is beautiful.... Staying away from horse; although that seems to be the most incredible material!

Your project is nicely done!

Any advise on the Horween?

Thanks

Thanks .... I have used a fair amount of Horween.....mainly chromexcel.....bought directly from Horween, and from Maverick leather.....both equine and bovine. It is a beautiful leather and I will always use Horween, (among others as well). I am quite sure if you give it a try, you will really like it.