I've bough several kits from Tandy, and they all seem to require the double loop lacing technique for assembly. I'm getting better at it, but it's very slow and hard on the fingers. The laces twist despite my best efforts, and for the thicker sections of the project, I find I need to use a hemostat clamp to pull the needle through the leather. Thank goodness I have one...otherwise, I think my fingers would be bleeding!

I timed my efforts today, and it took me an hour to lace just 7" of a project that requires 32 inches of lacing!

Any suggestions for another technique I can use for assembling these items? I have 2 clutch purses and a shoulder bag, and all 3 require lacing around the ENTIRE perimeter of the project!!

I much prefer sewing to lacing. Would harness stitching be a viable alternative?

If they are pre-punched there is not much (that isn't hack) that you can do. Actually, Tandy always punches their holes too big, that would be better if they were smaller and slots. A lot of people prefer the look of sewing to lacing, it looks less "cowboy". My recomendation to you is to watch movies while you lace, it's what I do.

Holes too big?? I only wish!! Some parts of my current project require lacing through 4 layers of leather! I can't get the lace through by hand, and have to clamp the 2-prong needle with a hemostat (surgical clamp) and wrestle it through. Even then, it takes considerable effort!

Can't watch movies. I'm hearing impaired, and have to be able to read the closed captioning... :(

I don't see any reason why harness stitching with waxed thread wouldn't work just as well, and be a heck of a lot easier and faster!

Or if I wanted to get really lazy, I could just whip stitch with the lace...

This is what my lacing looks like. 3/32" slits and 1/8" lace. I pull all my needles with pliers or they would never go through the holes.

You can saddle stitch it. Usually prepunched holes are way to large to get an attractive sewing pattern.

post-2349-0-37474800-1448323007_thumb.jp

Edited by electrathon

This is what my lacing looks like. 3/32" slits and 1/8" lace. I pull all my needles with pliers or they would never go through the holes.

You can saddle stitch it. Usually prepunched holes are way to large to get an attractive sewing pattern.

Nice looking! What do you use to keep the lace from wearing as you lace?

Nice looking! What do you use to keep the lace from wearing as you lace?

I use kangaroo lace, lubed with paraffin. About 6'-7' length.

Thanks! I don't do a lot of lacing, mostly sewing. I'll get some paraffin.

Edited by BillinOK

A white candle.

alot of candles are crappy weird microcrystaline wax now, specially the cheep ones. The nice ones that do not crumble and actually work for leather purposes can cost more than the bulk wax and are harder to find. Best place for parrafin that is consistent is the canning section of the grocery/hardware/drug store. It is used on top of jams, and is food grade.

Edited by TinkerTailor