Sign in to follow this  
bubbajdv

My First Knife Sheath!

post-16405-026363500 1286503172_thumb.jpWell, I appreciate all the good feedback I got on my boots so here is my latest project: My neighbor shows up one day and shows me a knife one of his customers gave him and he said "can you make me a case?" I told him I never had made one but I'd try so here is the result. Be gentle, this is another first for me, I know, I'm new so all my projects are firsts!post-16405-026363500 1286503172_thumb.jp

For a first sheath, you did a pretty good job! With the retention strap, it's pretty good to go for the field.

Suggestions: deeper stitching grooves (was there one?), polish the edges. Generally, I like to have the leather extend as far as the end of the knife handle, so it doesn't rub or catch, but that can be personal preference.

I'm sure someone can come along and write a thesis on things that could be better. But if it was my knife and I needed to take it hunting tomorrow, I'd be pretty happy with the sheath.

Thanks for the kind words! The groove for the stitching was made with a dremel tool and I was afraid to ruin my work so I did not go too deep, I have purchased a groove cutting tool since to remedy that problem. The gentleman requested the knife ride high above the belt line as he is a rather skinny guy. I used fiebings on the edges as I do not have a burnisher machine yet, I am working on that. I hope the next sheath will surpass this one, funny how every project I have done so far is a first! Thanks again!

Jonathan

For a first sheath, you did a pretty good job! With the retention strap, it's pretty good to go for the field.

Suggestions: deeper stitching grooves (was there one?), polish the edges. Generally, I like to have the leather extend as far as the end of the knife handle, so it doesn't rub or catch, but that can be personal preference.

I'm sure someone can come along and write a thesis on things that could be better. But if it was my knife and I needed to take it hunting tomorrow, I'd be pretty happy with the sheath.

"..burnisher machine.."? You don't need that. Almost anything smooth that you can rub (and rub!) on the edges will work. That's really all a power tool is going to do. Some people use a piece of antler, or plastic, or glass, or hardwood,... well, you get the point. Do a search for 'burnish' on here and you should see some that people have made to let them do a variety of edges. This is really a low-tech technique.

looks good for the first one. Can you show the Knife ithout the Sheath please?