Sign in to follow this  
RWP

First Holster Im Proud Enough Of To Post On Here

well guys this is the first holster ive done that im proud enough of to post on here to show all of you i've only been at this for about 4 months now but thanks to you guys ive learned alot and become quite inspried. this isnt my first holster its actually my 4th one ( 5th if you count the first abysmal faliure of a holster) and id like to thank all of you for the info and inspiriation this ones far from perfect but hey im proud of it. oh. if youll notice the pic of the sweatguard see the 2 blue lines? thats actually from the blue gun and im at a loss as to why it did that...ive never had it happen before maybe someone could give some insight? this is a pancake for a g23 blue gun i had laying around

post-13337-084971800 1307394884_thumb.jppost-13337-065037400 1307394895_thumb.jppost-13337-017175700 1307394876_thumb.jp

Edited by RWP

sorry about the large pics guys not quite sure how to resize them down....and also sorry for the bad image quality

As you should..............very nice work!

thanks king i appreciate it as i said its far from perfect. got to thinking about it and when i went about molding the holster i put it up on my roof to help dry ( its been rather hot and cloudless in north ga right now) so im thinking maybe the roof was a little too hot for the bluegun and thats what caused the two blue spots on the sweat shield

well guys this is the first holster ive done that im proud enough of to post on here to show all of you i've only been at this for about 4 months now but thanks to you guys ive learned alot and become quite inspried. this isnt my first holster its actually my 4th one ( 5th if you count the first abysmal faliure of a holster) and id like to thank all of you for the info and inspiriation this ones far from perfect but hey im proud of it. oh. if youll notice the pic of the sweatguard see the 2 blue lines? thats actually from the blue gun and im at a loss as to why it did that...ive never had it happen before maybe someone could give some insight? this is a pancake for a g23 blue gun i had laying around

post-13337-084971800 1307394884_thumb.jppost-13337-065037400 1307394895_thumb.jppost-13337-017175700 1307394876_thumb.jp

RWP, from the grumpy old man: First, I suspect that you are using Eco Flo dye. If so, do yourself a favor and get some Fiebing's, Angelus or other solvent based dye. As many have found, there are problems in the use of the water based dyes. The only things I notice (being the quality of the pics) is that either your thread is too fine (small in diameter) or, your stitch holes are too large. If drilling them, use a 3/64" bit, nothing larger. If using an awl, get (or hone yours down to) about 1/8". Other than that, the stitching doesn't look too bad. Stitching is a pet peeve of mine....I was taught by an old WWI cavalry soldier ( gives you an idea of how old I am) and if I ever get close to as good as he was, I'll be tickled. You need to work on your belt slots and your edges also. Now that I've tossed in a quick critique, don't think I'm knocking your work.......far from it. By your own words, you have progressed in the execution of your chosen projects. I'm no expert, just a grumpy old man that butchers a bit of cow hide, now and then. Take from my comments what you will, after all, the coast wasn't anything. Keep at it! You DO have a very serviceable holster that should last many years. You have the right to be proud of it. Mike

thanks mike input from you is always appreciated and i think my threads a little on the thin side im handstitching by the way. the waxed thread i've ordered from tandy is just honestly junk it rips before i even get it started through the stitch hole and. nope no eco-flo on this one actually using fiebings chocolate brown next time im going to airbrush it on this time i put it on with a dauber its wierd i think i hit a bad spot of leather because there are some slight coloration variances on the front side of the holster its way lighter than the rest but hey i like them gives it character but yes i'll definately be working on more soon

thanks mike input from you is always appreciated and i think my threads a little on the thin side im handstitching by the way. the waxed thread i've ordered from tandy is just honestly junk it rips before i even get it started through the stitch hole and. nope no eco-flo on this one actually using fiebings chocolate brown next time im going to airbrush it on this time i put it on with a dauber its wierd i think i hit a bad spot of leather because there are some slight coloration variances on the front side of the holster its way lighter than the rest but hey i like them gives it character but yes i'll definately be working on more soon

For thread you might try Springfield Leather and get their waxed linen thread, their sewing awl thread (nylon) or their Nytex thread (waxed nylon). I primarily use the waxed linen but at times use the Nytex. Never have had any of them break. I don't go to Tandy for much of anything, it just isn't worth the aggravation. Mike

I like it. Im gonna do a mouth support piece (dont know what its called) like that on the next one I do.

wareagle the only thing i would change about the mouth piece on that one is i would actually modify it to where its just a tad bit longer so it reaches from one side of the mouth to the other but so far just wearing the holster around i havent noticed any problems with it how it is and thanks for the compliment!