BDAZ

Ideal Stitch Length For Specific Thread Size?

Is there an ideal (both aesthetic and/or mechanical) stitch length for specific sizes of thread. I thought I saw a post about it but I can't find anything in the archives.

Thanks!

Bob

Not specifically.

Is there an ideal (both aesthetic and/or mechanical) stitch length for specific sizes of thread. I thought I saw a post about it but I can't find anything in the archives.

Thanks!

Bob

Not specifically, Bob. It depends on whether or not the stitches are decorative or required for securing pieces together, and on how large the thread is and how thick the leather is. Also, if the object is bendable, shorter stitches are better. While there is no rule of thumb, I prefer between 5 and 6 stitches per inch on most leather belts, straps and holsters, using thread sizes 207 or 277. I enlarge the spacing to 4/inch on thick weight belts, using #346 thread. Going the other direction, I'll use 6 or 7 per inch on thin wallets and 8 or 9 on shoes and watch bands, using #69 thread.

Thanks! That fits in nicely with some new products I am launching. I have been using 6-7 spi but I may try 5 for the next prototype.

Cya!

Bob

Here is some more specific information I have on my Keystone file from A & E. Some interesting stuff buried in there.

Seam-Engineering-2-5-10.pdf

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing