Sign in to follow this  
Clay

Leather Workers In Temple, Texas?

Now that I have moved to Temple, Texas, I am eager to start tooling again, but will have to wait unitll I can get a work shop set up, will be weeks or months away. Is there any one on here that lives in or near Temple who would like to talk leather? I would like to learn more about the area and what the leather market is like here.

Thanks,

ClayM.

You could try contacting King's X. He lives in Round Rock, TX and is a member of the Longhorn Trail Leather Guild out of Austin. There is the Tandy Leather Factory in Ft. Worth and also Hidecrafter's there as well, they might know of any local enthusiasts. I live in Baytown just outside of Houston, but I'm just a newbie at leatherworking. There is also Tim Kleffner out of Corpus, quite a ways away but he does a lot of travelling and might swing through on a trip up to Ft. Worth. Won't be able to help you with local information, but he is a very helpful and supportive member. There's a Tandy Leather in Austin as well. Good luck!

Tim:

Welcome to Texas! We would love to have you as a member here in Austin. Several of us do get together often and just talk and play with leather. You can also do what I did my first year when I moved her to Texas. Find leather related shops and professionals and pay them a visit. Tell them you are new to the area and tool. You would be surprised how many shops would invite you in. But I also found a couple that were a little secreative and were not as inviting, so just be open. There is one shop that I have been dying to visit in a small city west of Waco....cannot remember the name right now.

Good luck and keep in touch.....be more than happy to help you out as much as I can.

Clay,

Welcome to Texas. There is a member in Cameron (raftert) which is close to Temple. has a saddle shop

I am located in the Victoria area

Johnny

Thank you guys,

I went to Austin yesterday and paid a visit to Dennis at the Austin Tandy store. I plan on going back next month for a visit to the guild meeting there. Other than that I haven't had much of a chance to find any other places to visit yet. I can't wait to get a work shop set up. For now it will be my garage but not till I figure out how to cool it down a bit.

ClayM.