TTcustom

New Skiving Knife

I had a bit of knife blank steel left over and so I made a right hand skiving knife with a walnut handle.

post-11332-127687713627_thumb.jpg

If you don't have my new maul finished yet, I'd be your friend if you sent me one of those, too.

(Nice work.)

Looks nice Tim, you sure seem to have a lot of friends lately, haha.

hi TTcustom

i rally like the skiving knife not to mention your choice of woods for handles. i like to know since you mentioned this is for a right hander. is the blade flat on the side that lays on the leather and the bevel is on the top side of the blade when you use it? or both sides have beveled angles? i never had a skiving knife before. although i have an old english paring knife that has a beveled angle only on one side and that side is on top when use it. teh underside of the blade which faces the leather is flat. i am a right hander too. i would love to have one of your tools. the maul and this skiving knife. great work!

thanks

ritch

Ritch,

It is flat on one side and beveled on the other. I was making my version of a Osborne #469A skiving knife. :) I was lucky to have some nicely figured walnut on hand to make the handles with.

Bentley,

Hey I got my saddle tree and got started on it Saturday. I guess now I will have a chance to put all my new tools to use!

somawas,

If I can do it you can too! ;)

Bentley,

Hey I got my saddle tree and got started on it Saturday. I guess now I will have a chance to put all my new tools to use!

Tim,

Guess I need to get in and see what is new with everyone, maybe see you Wednesday.

Mark

thanks TTcustom!

you have great skill in this tool making. i love the walnut. i will save up i'm planning to get a knife for skiving leather for folding seams. and i need a mallet for stamping. i will send you a PM. let's talk partner. great work man, just super!

ritch

Maybe I could do it. Where did you get the how to?