jbird

YIPPEE!!!!! (MY FIRST KNIFE SHEATH)

Howdy yall this is my first knife sheath and I would like to know what's good and what's a bummer .

this is a proud moment for me I designed it and made from scratch I have never used a kit for any thing so thanks for looking, and hope you can give me some input.

Josh

P.S. any thoughts are welcome and wanted.

KY_1.JPG

Knife_yippee.JPG

KNIFE_YIPPEE_2.JPG

KY_3.JPG

KY_4.JPG

post-6549-1228437433_thumb.jpg

post-6549-1228437466_thumb.jpg

post-6549-1228437489_thumb.jpg

post-6549-1228437509_thumb.jpg

post-6549-1228437536_thumb.jpg

Edited by jbird

the sheath is about 5.5 inches long where the blade is and another 3 inches after that

Edited by jbird

Howdy yall this is my first knife sheath and I would like to know what's good and what's a bummer .

this is a proud moment for me I designed it and made from scratch I have never used a kit for any thing so thanks for looking, and hope you can give me some input.

Josh

P.S. any thoughts are welcome and wanted.

Got to tell you- that bass is REALLY neat!!!

I just made my first sheath too without a pattern or clue. Came out so well that I traded it for a fee haircut today. My barber is into mules and re-inactment gatherings.

He was so impressed that he wanted all of my old LWJ copies, pull our patterns , extra tools and some lessons!

I will set him up with a few necessary tools, a mallet, stone and a swivel knife or two.

pete

You're doing great Josh!

Next time I'd give yourself a little more room between the tooling and the stitching. I keep learning something new with everything I make. That's part of the enjoyment to me is learning something new each time. I keep telling my family and friends that when I make something new the first one is always the worst one. The person that gets the latest one has the best one - until the next one. LOL

Art

Got to tell you- that bass is REALLY neat!!!

I just made my first sheath too without a pattern or clue. Came out so well that I traded it for a fee haircut today. My barber is into mules and re-inactment gatherings.

He was so impressed that he wanted all of my old LWJ copies, pull our patterns , extra tools and some lessons!

I will set him up with a few necessary tools, a mallet, stone and a swivel knife or two.

pete

Thanks pete I need a hair cut !

You're doing great Josh!

Next time I'd give yourself a little more room between the tooling and the stitching. I keep learning something new with everything I make. That's part of the enjoyment to me is learning something new each time. I keep telling my family and friends that when I make something new the first one is always the worst one. The person that gets the latest one has the best one - until the next one. LOL

Art

I hear you art about the next one is better than the last it better be I say.

JBIRD............KEEP EM COMMING.......... :thumbsup::cowboy:

Nice job for your first go JBIRD...the bass is great!

Bring over a 6 of Bud Light and I'll show you how to make the back panel and the belt loop from one continuous piece of leather.

Bring over a 6 of Bud Light and I'll show you how to make the back panel and the belt loop from one continuous piece of leather.

MAN O MAN...........6-PACK WOULD ONLY WET THE WHISTLE 12-PACK AND I WOULD THINK ABOUT COMMING ALSO... :rofl:

sounds like a deal to me.

Josh

First off, that's a pretty cool sheath. I saved my first one just to give me a laugh on bad days. Yours is far better.

You need a groove cut where your stitching is. Otherwise anything rubbing against the sheath will cut into the thread. Also makes it look nicer.

The earlier comment about more space between the carving and the edge is a good one.

Why is the strap a different color?

Ooooh, the one thing that really stands out as a "needs improvement" is the way you sewed the belt loop on! That's single stitch doesn't have much strength. The loop should go further down the sheath in the back, allowing you some room to sew a square. (Actually, 3 sides straight and one like a "V".")

The loop is a bit short (as pointed out earlier). It would look better if the top of the sheath was angled to match the blade.

Again, it looks pretty good, but getting honest critique is the best way to keep improving. I wouldn't have said anything critical except that you asked.

Make more - post pics!

Edited by TexasJack

First off, that's a pretty cool sheath. I saved my first one just to give me a laugh on bad days. Yours is far better.

You need a groove cut where your stitching is. Otherwise anything rubbing against the sheath will cut into the thread. Also makes it look nicer.

The earlier comment about more space between the carving and the edge is a good one.

Ooooh, the one thing that really stands out as a "needs improvement" is the way you sewed the belt loop on! That's single stitch doesn't have much strength. The loop should go further down the sheath in the back, allowing you some room to sew a square. (Actually, 3 sides straight and one like a "V".")

The loop is a bit short (as pointed out earlier). It would look better if the top of the sheath was angled to match the blade.

Again, it looks pretty good, but getting honest critique is the best way to keep improving. I wouldn't have said

anything critical except that you asked.

Make more - post pics!

Thank you very much for that input, it's very helpfull thank-you

Edited by jbird

Again, it looks pretty good, but getting honest critique is the best way to keep improving. I wouldn't have said anything critical except that you asked.

Make more - post pics!

My thoughts also.

The knife sheath looks very good. in fact its better than my first sheath

on your next one make the belt loop part of the back of the sheath leather.

when you design the sheath on paper draw in about 1/8' to 3/16" on each side right where the handle would stop and the blade begins. then just draw a straight line to right where the top of the handle is(the non blade side of the knife).

now allow lots of paper to fold this area over and end it on the sheath main body part 1" to 1 1/2" inches into the main body.

i then draw a half moon here and thats my pattern. then i stitch the half moon area and the 2 sides connecting straight across the leather.

Thank you for all the input can some one post a pic of the back panel of a sheath I have to make another one thanks.

Josh

The work is looking good Josh, and after reading the previous comments, I can only add one thing. It kinda goes in line with ArtS' comments, and it is: Spend about five extra minutes on the layout portion of assembly. That's it. You're progressing very well, and every project shows it.

M

The work is looking good Josh, and after reading the previous comments, I can only add one thing. It kinda goes in line with ArtS' comments, and it is: Spend about five extra minutes on the layout portion of assembly. That's it. You're progressing very well, and every project shows it.

M

Thank you Mike I always like hearing what you have to say.

Josh

the back panel and loop are one piece I just looped over and sewed it there not separate is that what you are saying

Josh

JBird, good first effort! A couple of suggestions: Dye the inside of the belt loop (and the inside of the keeper strap) a dark color - black, brown, etc.; round or point the end of the keeper strap; use the smallest edger you have on the keeper strap and the belt loop; use a contrasting but complimentary dye on the edges of the belt loop and keeper strap (requires a steady hand and the 'oh crap' factor goes way up!) ; in one photo (it is really dark and I may have mis-interpeted what I think I see) the spine side welt appears to be uneven, regardless, ensure all welt edges are sanded and burnished smooth; burnish all edges; and, my last suggestion is to pick up the piece, close your eyes and let you fingers explore the entire work piece and you will know what needs to be rounded, sanded, burnished, etc..

Randy thanks for those words of advise I will take them to heart.

On the spine I used glass to even it out then sanded well then I slicked it heavealy then stained and two coats edge coat.

Josh

Edited by jbird

Hope this helps. First picture, front panel on the left, back panel with belt loop on right.Second pic, shown how they are sewn together. I used tiny little scraps, hope you can make sense out of it. You can still attach retainer strap like you did before.IMG_9967.jpgIMG_9969.jpgP.S. don't forget to skive a little b4 you sew....

Hope this helps. First picture, front panel on the left, back panel with belt loop on right.Second pic, shown how they are sewn together. I used tiny little scraps, hope you can make sense out of it. You can still attach retainer strap like you did before.IMG_9967.jpgIMG_9969.jpgP.S. don't forget to skive a little b4 you sew....

Thank you I am in your debt, thank you for taking the time.

Josh

Not too shabby for a first attempt - nice over all job just need to tweak things a bit.......

A how-to for a Mexican loop style which can be easily adapted to other types of loops..

http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/mexloop/_mexloop.html

A pouch style sheath tutorial

http://www.knivesby.com/dan-sheath-tutor-1.html

The back side illustrating what Texas Jack a saying........fwiw - I much prefer (and so do my customers) an added loop rather than a one piece since I can get a much better fit on the blade, but the other option when making a one piece is is to turn the loop to the inside rather than to the back - skive heavily at the bottom edge on the flesh side for about one inch - to one and a half inch, glue so that 1-1.5" is down inside the sheath, then sew up the edges when you add the front piece (hope that makes sense - if you like at my Mex loop ho-to it sshows it sort of)

sheath-sumner-002.jpg

sheath-sumner-001.jpg

Hope that helps........

wow chuck thanks a bunch that is awsome stuff I will put it to work thanks.

Josh