jasongtr

Advice On An Industrial Machine Purchase

im very new to all this and i am planning to retrim my car interior - if that turns out well its something id like to do for extra income, so nothing really heavy duty like some of you guys are working with

i bought an old Frister Rossman 702 to get the feel of sewing with a machine BUT the stitch lengthis not very good, so im about to embark on buying an industrial machine to suit my needs.

ive been advised to get a walking foot machine an the company suggests a triple feed system - which to be honest means nothing to me but its this machine

http://www.sewingmachinery.com/highlead/highlead-GC0618-1SC-offer.html

does this look about right for auto upholstery?

thanks for any replies - all gratefully received

Yes that would be fine for upholstery. That looks to be about the same as the Consew 206rb. I'd imagine they are both clones of the same machine. They are made for upholstery really.

There are many feet available for those machines that you'll need for piping and whatever else you'll need.

If you're in the US you can check out Toledo industrial sewing machine company for the Consew 206RB.

And for what its worth its probably a good choice to buy a new or serviced used one from a dealer if its your first one, it'll spare a lot of headaches and usually isn't that much more in the end.

its going to be a new one i buy - as a novice ill need the support

one other thing ive been told is to go for one with a servo motor as its easily speed controlled the clutch type ones are fast for a learner - is that true? if so i think the one i put in the link is a clutch tyuoe and the cheaper one they offered is a servo type and is top and bottom feed

im very new to all this and i am planning to retrim my car interior - if that turns out well its something id like to do for extra income, so nothing really heavy duty like some of you guys are working with

i bought an old Frister Rossman 702 to get the feel of sewing with a machine BUT the stitch lengthis not very good, so im about to embark on buying an industrial machine to suit my needs.

ive been advised to get a walking foot machine an the company suggests a triple feed system - which to be honest means nothing to me but its this machine

http://www.sewingmac...-1SC-offer.html

does this look about right for auto upholstery?

thanks for any replies - all gratefully received

Yes this machine will be fine for auto upholstery. Add a Servo motor for increased torque and speed control.

You can get these machines from any of the dealers who advertise on this site:

- Cobra Steve

- Cowboy Bob

- Techsew Ron

It will be set up for you prior to shipping and covered by a warranty and free tech support.

Edited by Techsew Ron

im in the uk so i doubt ill be buying from a dealer off here, whats to benefit of having the needle feed, as the cheaper machine with the servo motor already installed has top walking foot and bottom feed

I'd call the dealer, they should be able to set up the one you want with the servo motor. If not its an easy swap and not much extra.

Some people can use a clutch motor just fine and feather the peddle for slower speeds. I have several machines with clutch motors and I can control the speeds pretty good however I much prefer my machines with servos.

I would go with the one with needle feed too, it'll help keep all the layers lined up as they are feeding, especially if your feet are smooth to prevent marking on the leather.

Its feeding the material. Don't feel bad, there's a lot to know about sewing machines and it can get intimidating and a lot of people end up with something that doesn't suit their needs because the seller said it can sew leather.

I'd recommend reading the pinned post that Wizcrafts wrote regarding selecting a machine, he also has videos of him using a machine that is very similar to the machine you're looking at.

ah ok, so like the home machine i have is a bottom feed then, the 'dog feed' thingy it kind of grabs it through against the bottom of the foot.

ill check that thread out, thanks

Yes exactly, so with a needle feed it works with the feed dogs and moves back while the needle is down through the material and keeps the layers moving together.

Hi,

I not sure exactly where I should post my question but would anyone know what machine is that?

3Ee3N63lb5E85K25F9d1g9b1fe4bad3821804.jpg

I can see Adler name, but would like to know about its capabilities and what would be reasonable price for it.

Thanks so much,

Dag

I think it's an Adler 105 or 205 - something. Hard to tell from that angle, but I can't see the giveaway presser foot lifter ball handle on the top left of the head. The bull image suggests that it is a modified Ferdinand Bull machine, but it does have an Adler sticker on it. Also, no built in bobbin winder.

Hi Dag, hi Wiz. It looks to me like it has the old Chandler label on the front which would indicate it is a 105-64. Chandler distributed the Adler machines and the Ferdinand Bull in the late 60's and 70's which would also indicate the picture of the bull. Steve

Yes,Steve is correct it's a Adler 105-64 should sew real close to 1/2" & use up to #346 thread.

Thank you so much for all your responses.

I received more pictures of the offered machine, and If you could help to clear my confusion: is it Adler? Modified Adler/Ferdinand Bull? Chandler?

What do you think would be a fair price for it? I am told it is 20-30 years old?

I need to make harness / tack repairs. Can't find anyone in my area.

Thanks again,

Dag

Its an Adler as Bob said, probably modified( this is what I got from Bob and Steve's post). I would think you'd be fine doing tack repairs with it as long as you don't need to sew beyond its capabilities. (1/2")

Maybe one of the other guys will chime in and help you with cost, and more details on what would have been modified, I'd say alot will depend on condition and how well it sews. The best thing to do would be take the thickest and thinnest thing you'll need to stitch and go see it and try it out.

You could also google The Model number that Bon gave a few posts ago and see what others have sold for.

I know that doesn't give you much to go on, but hopefully someone else can chime in.