Sign in to follow this  
bullwhipcracker

New guy...help with splitter

I am interested in a splitter, but my budget is severely tight.

I am considering a hi-tech or possibly the James splitter.

Is the el cheap-o good enough for a start or should I toil away and save for the James or a used Osborne.

I will be splitting leather of various thickness and type from latigo to 'roo for whip making.

Ron

Edited by bullwhipcracker

Ron

First off I want to welcome ya to a great site!! If it was me I would save my money and get a old Osborne. I think you would be much happier . Which ever way you choose to go I wish you luck.

Mike

You get what you pay for. I would save for a CSO.

Ron,

Welcome. I have been at braiding for a short time. And have zero experience with anything but the high tech splitter from tandys. I get along fine with it. Course I wouldn't know if it is really bad, never having tried anything else. Good luck with it.

Rob

Maybe this should be a seperate thread.....mods feel free to split it if you feel appropriate. Does anyone have detailed pics showing the construction etc of a splitter? I'm thinking of ways I can build them, but there's a couple details that I haven't quite figured out teh best approach yet.....

Of course one of the things I'm looking at is how it can be done economically too....if there's a demand, maybe I can build some extras? :)

Get the best splitter you can afford... If it is an inexpensive one then that's what you get. But the thing to remember is to keep that thing clean and SHARP! A sharp - (and I mean razor sharp, hair shaving sharp) blade on an inexpensive splitter will bring you more joy than a half-assed sharp blade on an expensive splitter. learn how to sharpen the blade with a good stone, and then use a buffing wheel and polishing compound to get that super SHARP edge you need. If you don't know how to sharpen a blade from a splitter, maybe find a machinist or tool maker. They can usually get you on the right track.

Good Luck