Sign in to follow this  
OldToby

Just Got My First Leather Sewing Maching And Need Help

I have been stitching most of my leather projects by hand and decided it was time to purchase a leather sewing machine. I purchased a very old Singer 28K71 Leather Patch Machine. I am running into some issues, and thought some more experienced folks could help me out.

My main issue is with the thread bunching below the leather I am stitching. It only does it on softer leather, I can sew through thick tooling leather with no issues. The tension seems fine on the thick pieces, but as soon as I transition to a softer piece, I get a big old nest of thread underneath. Needless to say, I can't finish my project until I figure this out.

I attached a few photos of the machine I have. Again, any help would be great! I look forward to posting and learning more.

~Old Toby

post-15758-127928359775_thumb.jpg

post-15758-127928362319_thumb.jpg

post-15758-127928364191_thumb.jpg

post-15758-127928367966_thumb.jpg

Old Toby.....that machine is not complete......in the second photo the thread is in the bobbin carrier, from what i know the thread should be wound around a bobbin, then placed in the carrier.

OldToby

I would suggest going to the top of the page and checking out this site. The leather machine co.

Or contact him directly.

at --->Steve Tayrien----AKA "Cobra Steve"

Leather Machine Co., Inc.

3545 Highland Ave. Ste. "C"

Highland, CA. 92346

1-866-962-9880

He's a very nice guy and can probably answer any questions you might have about the Singer machine you have. He might even know where to get the parts.

Good Luck!

Joel

Thank you for the replies! I found a metal bobbin and put it in. I also used the same thread for the bobbin as i did for the spool and it seemed to fix the problem! I was using a softer thread for the bobbin and that is probably contributing to the problem. Thanks again for the help!

-Old Toby