Well I didn't want my Brother-In-Law to get too jealous of my bag so I thought I would surprise him with one of his own. My sister and he are expecting their first kid too. I hope you guys like the tooling on it. I wanted something very rugged and sort of decayed looking. Maybe like something that would be found at an archeological dig. So, it is pretty rough. I was really just kind of experimenting with the design and the tools. I thing it came out cool. Also, I thought I'd try something different with the front flap and closure. I'm still working on the shoulder strap. Hopefully get that on there in the next few days.

I think I succeeded! What do you all think? Comments, critiques?

-Andy

bag18.jpg

bag19.jpg

bag20.jpg

bag21.jpg

post-8183-1233597739_thumb.jpg

post-8183-1233597748_thumb.jpg

post-8183-1233597755_thumb.jpg

post-8183-1233597763_thumb.jpg

Edited by AndyL1

Well I didn't want my Brother-In-Law to get too jealous of my bag so I thought I would surprise him with one of his own. My sister and he are expecting their first kid too. I hope you guys like the tooling on it. I wanted something very rugged and sort of decayed looking. Maybe like something that would be found at an archeological dig. So, it is pretty rough. I was really just kind of experimenting with the design and the tools. I thing it came out cool. Also, I thought I'd try something different with the front flap and closure. I'm still working on the shoulder strap. Hopefully get that on there in the next few days.

-Andy

WANT.

But since that's not happening... where did you find the design on the flap, and how did you get such a nice impression with the celtic stamp on the closure billets? Mine always look like crap.

WANT.

But since that's not happening... where did you find the design on the flap, and how did you get such a nice impression with the celtic stamp on the closure billets? Mine always look like crap.

HAHA! Thanks for WANTING! :evillaugh:

The design I found on http://www.istockphoto.com/index.php I have a membership on there and purchased a vector file from the site. The lines were very fine in the design so it was kind of hard (for me) to tool. I didn't really like it at first but after distressing it and texturizing it, the design really grew on me. I really like it now. I just really hit the stamp HARD and very deliberately with the mallet. I set the stamp fairly deep into the leather.

That is a seriously nice bag! I'd say you nailed your design brief. I'd carry it with pride if it were mine

Sweet:-)

I specially like the design touch with the celtic stamps, really nice!

tashabear

"and how did you get such a nice impression with the celtic stamp?"

I use my husbands vice, the impression comes out perfect, hope this is an idea you can use:-)

Edited by Tina

Dude I'd pay Good money for that in a store! Good job! :spoton:

Sweet:-)

I specially like the design touch with the celtic stamps, really nice!

tashabear

"and how did you get such a nice impression with the celtic stamp?"

I use my hustbands vice, the impression comes out perfect, hope this is an idea you can use:-)

I totally would, if we had a vise. :-D

I totally would, if we had a vise. :-D

A clamp, a table and a piece of scrap wood does the same job :)

Still in awe over that bag... :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Andy,

Nice job!

I really like it.

Where did you find that closure? The rotating hook clasp? Very nice.

Cheers,

Karl

Still in awe over that bag... :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Awesome! Thanks a lot.

Andy,

Nice job!

I really like it.

Where did you find that closure? The rotating hook clasp? Very nice.

Cheers,

Karl

Thanks for the compliments. The clasp I got from Ohio Travel bag. I have some in antique brass too. They also come in two sizes. This is the larger one. Check out the finished photos of my first bag in this topic thread. I got that clasp from OTB as well:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=10580

Scroll down for the latest photos.

-Andy

Karl

If these are the hook fasteners you're looking for, they're available from Le Prevo. Not quite so ornate, but the best I know of in the UK.

Terry

6100_lock_1_.jpg

post-7199-1233769667_thumb.jpg

That looks fantastic!!!

I really like the detail by the clasp, I'm sure they'll love it!

Very good point. And when I have a table I can do that on, maybe I will.

Well, a clamp and 2 pieces of scrap wood then :)

Great bag, Andy! I like that a lot. Looks like you've got the rugged look down cold.

Kate

-Andy

1) Can you post a picture of the inside?

2) Would you be willing to share the pattern(s)? I'd love to make an attempt at something like this but wouldn't know where to begin.

Nice...

Dude, I can't tell you how much I love that bag... :You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon:

1) Can you post a picture of the inside?

2) Would you be willing to share the pattern(s)? I'd love to make an attempt at something like this but wouldn't know where to begin.

Hey Freddo,

1. Go to this thread: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=10580 and scroll down a bit, there is a photo of the inside of my other bag. Keep scrolling to the bottom and I have posted photos of that bag all finished.

2. I didn't really make a pattern. I just knew what I wanted in my head and broke it down into pieces from there. I mainly just wrote down measurements to keep the parts consistent.

Thanks for looking! If you end up making one, I'd love to see it.

-Andy

Dude, I can't tell you how much I love that bag... :You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon:

Hey thanks Spider! That's means a lot coming from somebody whose work I've grown to admire! You have that cool, twisted style that I really dig. Very punk rock!

Andy,

Would you mind PM'ing the measurements for the bag to me or posting them here? It would give some of us newbies a place to start.

Thanks

Fred

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought I'd pop a few pics of this bag all finished up. It's been done a couple of months now. I stitched on a small tooled knot to the front flap, made a nice shoulder pad, and added a small billet detail to the back pocket. My brother-in-law loves this thing. I've been slowly working on some more bags. It's kind of hard right now with the new baby and all.

Cheers,

Andy

New_bag1.jpg

New_bag2.jpg

New_bag3.jpg

New_bag4.jpg

post-8183-1240247699_thumb.jpg

post-8183-1240247707_thumb.jpg

post-8183-1240247718_thumb.jpg

post-8183-1240247725_thumb.jpg

Looks great, thanks for updating with the pics. That is a very nice bag

A + ......... :thumbsup:

The double row of stiching really set the look of the Bag off.