vikingusa1

Thread Tension Help

Hi all,

I recently got a Cowboy CB2300 and its great! We are still learning how to use it compared to a regular sewing machine.

One problem we are having is the thread tension. We're using sz23 needle with sz 135 thread. It looks like the bobbin thread is pulling up through the top. The top thread is loose and runs straight across the top of the leather. It is not being pulled into the hole at all.

We tried tightening the tension on the bobbin case and we tried tightening the tensions up top. Maybe we didn't tighten one or the other enough?

When i sewed 3 layers of 3oz leather it was fine but when i sewed just the one layer of 8oz it had this problem.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Please help! Thanks!

Pictures can help, but if your top thread is laying on the top, this would suggest that you REDUCE the top tension (not increase it). Needle size seems matched to the thread, so prolly not that.

Being lazy, I like to start with the simplest thing first. Is your thread 'buggered' somewhere coming from the spool to the needle? That can throw tensions outta whack in a hurry. Then, no buggers on the needle, burrs, bends, etc.?

If the top thread is laying on the top, and loose, not pulled down into the leather, then the bottom tension needs to be increased. But first check that there is nothing wrong with the bobbin spring, nothing jammed under the spring, clean etc.

It doesn't take much to increase the bobbin tension, so go slow!

Tom