Sign in to follow this  
BradB

Which direction does leather stretch

I have read it somewhere but now I cant find it... and the side I have is thick and I cant seem to see which way it stretches.

Does a side stretch front to back or top to bottom?

Not sure leather has stretch in a certain direction like fabric does, but there are parts of a hide that will stretch more than others. The top of the back and the rear of a hide will be the firmest, strongest leather. The neck and the belly will have more stretch. If you are cutting something like a strap, you want to cut it lengthwise from front to back (or back to front). If you cut it from top to bottom, one end will be firm, the other stretchy.

Think FAT! When one gets fat, it is in the belly region. One doesn't grow longer when one gets fat. So the stretchy part would be in the belly region & the backbone along to the tail would be least stretchy, and as Clay said, going from backbone to belly would go from least to most stretch.

russ

Not sure leather has stretch in a certain direction like fabric does, but there are parts of a hide that will stretch more than others. The top of the back and the rear of a hide will be the firmest, strongest leather. The neck and the belly will have more stretch. If you are cutting something like a strap, you want to cut it lengthwise from front to back (or back to front). If you cut it from top to bottom, one end will be firm, the other stretchy.

Thank you Clay! That answered my question, I am cutting a strap and I thought I remembered reading that but then could not find it to read again!!