Denise

How to post pictures on LW

Please note that some of the instructions in the early part of this thread are for a previous version of the Forum's software.  But this is still useful and helpful information.  More current info is in the latter posts.

Being one of the computer impaired, I thought I would let the rest of our clan know how I post pictures. There may be a shorter way, but this works for me. You do it all on Leatherworker - no need for posting on another site.

To start with, you need to be in the "Reply" section, not just the "Fast Reply".

Then, as you are typing in the white box, look down and to your left. There is an empty long white box. Then there is a button that says Browse and one that says Clear Selection. Below that is a grey box saying "Attach this File". These are what you will use to post the pictures.

First, you need to find the picture on your computer. Click on Browse. A window pops up that says "Choose file" that lists all of what is on your computer. Go through it like you usually do to find the picture you want to upload. Click on the picture to highlight it, then click the Open button on the bottom right of that window. When you do that, the window will disappear, but remember that empty white box? It isn't empty anymore. In it is the address of the picture you just clicked on. If it isn't the one you want, hit Clear Selection now to remove it. If it is, you still don't have it in your post. You must click the "Attach This File" button. When you do, you are uploading the picture to LW.net. For those of you on high speed, it is probably a blink. For those of us on dial up... well, it does finish after a while. When it is uploaded it will appear in its own light blue line abover the Browse button line. You can do this a number of times to get more than one picture in a post. Then you will have a list of your possible attachments above the Browse button. On the right hand side there is an option to Add to Post or to Delete. Wherever your cursor is when you click Add to Post, that is where the picture will appear. If you don't Add to Post, it won't show up. And that is all there is to it!

March_9_8_Taylor_dog_.JPG

Troubleshooting tips:

There is a limit on the total size of pictures that can go up on one post. If you try to put too many pictures or pictures that are too big into one post, the system won't take it. Best is to compress your pictures to a max of 250kb if you can. It fits more pictures into a post and then people still on dial up can look at them too. Most picture programs have a spot to compress pictures. That needs to be done before you upload them.

post-5669-1236836940_thumb.jpg

Edited by Northmount
update info

Denise thank you very much for posting this. I've wanted to post some pics for a long time, but am not too computer savvy so this will be helpful. I'll give it a try one of these days. Chris

max4.JPG

I think I got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks!Chris

post-1677-1237310455_thumb.jpg

Chris,

Glad it worked for you. But how come the picture is of a horse and not a mule????

Excellent question. We just got a new (to us) computer and most of my pics are on the old one for now. This was the first pic I came to so I used it. But after I posted it I thought Darn! should have been a mule! Chris

Ok, this is a test picture

DSC00849.JPG

post-10187-1239771510_thumb.jpg

Thank you Denise, I was going to have to get ny computer teck to come over to show me how to upload the photos, with your help I will be able to get this lacing post finished now.

Bob

www.okanagansaddlery.com

You're welcome. I figure if I can do it, anyone else should be able to as well!

Denise or Johanna,

I have a problem uploading scanned items. The last one I tried to up load was a black and white drawing of a bird for swivel knife practice.

I tried several times and I was unable to upload. I keep getting ERROR file was to big to upload

I took a picture of it and was able to upload it.

Any suggestions??? Am I able to turn down the scanner?

Tim

IMG_0599.JPG

post-10686-125277635433_thumb.jpg

I'll leave that one up to Johanna. I'm scanner impaired also...

Tim,

I don't know what scanner or software you have but all of them generally have a place to turn down the scanned resolution. Both of my Silverfast packages have a dpi setting on the front screen. On the Microtek software you have to go to the advanced control panel before you can adjust the resolution. The regular screen one did not allow for it. The UMax also has a front screen dpi resolution setting. I have seen HP software on both ends of the spectrum with some that you have to search for the advanced featues. All of the HP's that I have have the resolution on the front screen

Drop me a line with you specific software and scanner and I may be able to help.

Regards,

Ben

Edited by gtwister09

A scanned item is a picture. You can use any graphics program to reduce the size. Often, scans are waaaay over 1MB straight out of the machine. The forum will accept 1MB from regular members and I think 1.5MB from contributing members, and it will take standard formats like jpg, jpeg, gif, png etc. It will not take bmp w/o my help because too many people were scanning HUGE bmps (which is often the default on a scanner) and it was a problem. Sometimes to see the detail on a pic a higher resolution must be used, but not that often. A good size to shoot for is 300-800 KB a pic.

This has nothing to do with the original subject (and you guys notice this thread is OLD?) but please remember not to scan copyrighted material and post it here withhout permission from the owner. If you need help locating the owner, PM or call me. If you aren't sure whether the material has a copyright, or you think that the owner won't mind, I will be glad to make a courtesy call asking for permission to post it. I have found that most folks are willing to share if we ask them nicely first. Thanks everyone for their help with this!

Johanna

leather southern plains dance bonnet. Leather eagle feathers, everything is leather except the silver work I also do the silver silver work

000_1274_1.JPG

post-12512-125851372382_thumb.jpg

Edited by leatherman1457

works great , thanks alot

baby eagle IWB.jpg

post-14807-127553316732_thumb.jpg

This is just a test to see if this aged brain can grasp photo posting.

post-19499-057578400 1296923562_thumb.jp

Looks like there is life in the old dog yet.

Edited by greybeardUK

Hey, I told you that if I could do it, so could you!! Keep posting pictures of your work. Interesting ideas in that carving.

PS. Your signature line is exactly what my Grandma used to say. Neat to see that saying again!

Hey, I told you that if I could do it, so could you!! Keep posting pictures of your work. Interesting ideas in that carving.

PS. Your signature line is exactly what my Grandma used to say. Neat to see that saying again!

Hi Denise, that one was done around 20 years ago, this one was done just after that.

post-19499-089194600 1296932631_thumb.jp

Had an accident that gave me issues with manipulating tools before I finished it, not picked up carving tools since. Now considering attempting a carving of my dog that passed away early Dec, problem is he was a Bichon Frise breed, Hair work and lack of definitive lines is something I have not attempted before, so browsing 'figure carving' for ideas.

Looks good. All the best in your new projects. There are some pretty good instructions and tips on here. Check out ClayB's posts especially. Figure carving, animals, hair, etc. are things he does really well.

Greybeard that is some fine carving..you still have it.............

Greybeard that is some fine carving..you still have it.............

Thank's Luke,,,,, Just have to go find it now.:)

testing to see if it works.

post-22603-015565200 1309445770_thumb.jp

post-22603-049945700 1309445819_thumb.jp

Is it possible to delete an attachment/photo once you've uploaded and posted it? I made error in posting the wrong photo.

If you are still working on the post or are still able to edit it, got to the "full edit" mode. You can't play with pictures in the quick edit mode. Then on the right where you have to click to Add to Post, there is also the choice of a red Delete button. Click that and you can delete the wrong image you put up.

There is a time limit during which you can edit your post. If you have left it for a while and are outside that time line, just shoot a PM to a moderator and they can delete it for you.

Ok my turn to try,

post-22515-031987000 1326401354_thumb.jp

Ive wanted to be able to post at different points in the thread

post-22515-018100600 1326401357_thumb.jp

And I think I now know how to do it.

post-22515-079996300 1326401397_thumb.jp

Thanks for the info.

post-22515-045957800 1326401403_thumb.jp

Michael

post-22515-075394500 1326401399_thumb.jp

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it worked.

Edited by mlapaglia