I came up with this saddlebag pattern 12 or 15years back after a request from my wife.

I do one or two a year mostly as gifts.

The scroll cut ones seem to be the favorites but I've flower carved a few. This one went to a young lady that was tops in her graduating class.

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

That is freakin OUTSTANDING!!!

WOW! That is nice.

Wow, those are sensational cuts! Cheers to your artistry!

now THATS quality work. my only hope is that kind of quality comes with time.I strive for it, but never hit the mark. well made.

very sweeeeet work

Absolutely fabolous! The scrollwork is so nice and all those little details, braiding, brass fitting and the coloured strap.

Definetly a design that stands the test of time.

Tom

Thanks all. There's only one big pocket in it and some gals like lots. My bride just wanted one and it needed to be tough. She packed her first one about eight years. It's still not wore out, I just thought she needed a new one.

do you trace the cuts or are they completely freehand after casing?

Beautiful work!!!!

pete

Holy :censored2: ! :jawdropper: I think I will hang up my knife now. You win!

This is some kind of cool. I like it all, and especially the rawhide loop. I know, everybody is nuts over the scrollwork and applique braiding, and I like the rawhide loop. I've just never seen it quite like that. I can see a few other places I can use that loop to finish off a closure and not go to the silver. I have about a weeks worth of catch up, and then I am thinking I'll show my wife that pic. She'll be wanting one. How did you finish off the backside?

Pete, on these purses I just freehand the scroll cuts. On some things if I want it endless I'll lightly scrib the main cuts so they end up right.

tazzmann, keep using that knife. I have a small bit of my uncles scroll work that keeps me trying to get better. It was a bit of his doodling when trying to come up with some new scroll work.

Bruce, The rawhide holds it's shape well over time and seems to put just the right bind on the strap. Only draw back is the speed my bride can draw a check book.

The back is covered with chocolate elk, I'll try and get a picture of it on tonight.

Wow!

A question on your stitched border. Is what appears to be a double line a groove, or is it two parrallel lines? And, how did you achieve that?

That is as nice as it comes.

And another WOW! This is really neat. I'm trying to come with an idea to make my youngest daughter a small purse and this sure gets me thinking. I too would like to see some pictures from the back and side. Thanks for showing this.

Andy

Ian, it's a bead border. The tool I have for it is older than me and looks to be home made.

Horseshoe brand tools sells one I think.

Here's a picture of the back, I didn't take one of the side gusset. It's 4" wide skirting, about 7 oz. If you pinch it in at the top when it has moister in it it will train that way.

IMG_0958.jpg

Edited by Severe

hello severe

this is really fine work did you use patterns for carving??

i want try to use some carving on the backside for a belt

greetings

mfm

tazzmann, keep using that knife. I have a small bit of my uncles scroll work that keeps me trying to get better. It was a bit of his doodling when trying to come up with some new scroll work.

If you wouldn't mind sharing that "small bit" of doodling so that we all can encouraged to do better, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ben

MFM, scroll cutting works well for belts. Thats what I practiced on to get good enough to cut cantle bindings. I don't use a pattern though.

Ben, I'll take a picture and get it on soon. My uncle showed me some scroll cut birds once that a friend of his did. Don't have a clue what happened to them. They were the best cutting I've ever seen bar none. I do remember the friends name was Jim Donalson ( not sure on the spelling) and I think he has since passed on. RS

This was done about 40 years ago, I'm sure with a 1/2 blade

scrollcutting.jpg

WOW!!!! Inspired, I am!!

singteck

I don't want to be a pest but where are the pictures of the purse? for some reason I am not able to view them on my computer.

I, like everyone here am in awe of the scroll work, but I am equally impressed with the braiding on the front flap. I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but...very cool. Shoot, I'd just be happy to be able to build the basic bag that nice!