Phatdaddy

My Name Is Kevin...and I've Been Using A Dull Swivel Knife

It's TRUE and I am ashamed.

It's stressed so frequently here and with good reason. WOW.

I have been using the same tandy blade that came with my starter kit. That probably made a number of members cringe alone, worse yet is that it bared all of my newbie stropping to boot.

Awhile ago I acquired a few of those keen edge swivel knife sharpeners in a lot of leather tools and materials I picked up and tonight I found my hone. I decided to go at the blade and resurface/angle it. It was in really bad shape. It took quite a bit of time to get the faces straight and even again.

I went to it with the jewelers rouge on card stock as I wanted to use the keen edge at the same angle and all(my leather/wood strop would be awkward). It's still not even 70% polished and it's cutting 1000% better I can't believe the difference. I'll finish it tomorrow.

I just wanted to share, I'd be willing to bet money there are a lot of us out here using dull swivel knives...

Kevin

Edited by Phatdaddy

LOL Good for you Kevin!

Now repeat after me.

"A Dull knife is a Dangerous Knife. A Dull knife is a Dangerous Knife. A Dull Knife is a Dangerous Knife."

Yeah, it does make a big difference.. I've switched to a hollow ground for my main blade, but yesterday I was using Little Border Wizard, so I was using my original blade.. Halfway around the project I was kicking myself for not sharpening it before starting.. I swear it was getting duller every six inches. Of course I didn't want to risk not getting it back into the Wizard in the same place, so I struggled on, but it was really hard work cutting towards the end.. I had to use the tool the other way up to use the other end of the blade for the last curve, by then I was having to push so hard I didn't fancy my chances of getting around a curve with the side I started with..

(crowd says) Hi Kevin

Its been 3 months since I last used a dull swivel knife. Oh yea, this isn't about me!

Kevin

Just make it a habit to sharpen those things once in a while! I strop before starting a project, I strop while doing the project, I strop it before putting it back in the tool slot, I think I may have a problem! lol!!

Look on youtube for vids on sharpening swivel knives also, check out Paul from leather wranglers video on sharpening head knives, its not that hard and he does a great job showing how it is done.

As Sylvia said ""A Dull knife is a Dangerous Knife. A Dull knife is a Dangerous Knife. A Dull Knife is a Dangerous Knife."

And a dull swivel knife is just frustrating!!

(crowd says) Hi Kevin

Its been 3 months since I last used a dull swivel knife. Oh yea, this isn't about me!

Kevin

Just make it a habit to sharpen those things once in a while! I strop before starting a project, I strop while doing the project, I strop it before putting it back in the tool slot, I think I may have a problem! lol!!

Look on youtube for vids on sharpening swivel knives also, check out Paul from leather wranglers video on sharpening head knives, its not that hard and he does a great job showing how it is done.

As Sylvia said ""A Dull knife is a Dangerous Knife. A Dull knife is a Dangerous Knife. A Dull Knife is a Dangerous Knife."

And a dull swivel knife is just frustrating!!

Hi, Im Kelly and I have a 'friend' that may be using a dull swivel knife, but I think he really doesn't know how sharp a swivel knife needs to be.

He is pretty much self-taught and gathers as much information he can about stuff from some support group that he talks with online somewhere.... He wants to know just how sharp are we talking here.... head knife sharp? sharp enough to slice your finger if ya run it down the blade?

My 'friend' wants to know so that my 'friend' isn't using a dangerous, dull blade.

Thanks all, I will relay this information to my 'friend'

I don't think there is a 12-step swivel knife program.......yet.

Art

Hi, Im Kelly and I have a 'friend' that may be using a dull swivel knife, but I think he really doesn't know how sharp a swivel knife needs to be.

He is pretty much self-taught and gathers as much information he can about stuff from some support group that he talks with online somewhere.... He wants to know just how sharp are we talking here.... head knife sharp? sharp enough to slice your finger if ya run it down the blade?

My 'friend' wants to know so that my 'friend' isn't using a dangerous, dull blade.

Mudruck:

As far as I can tell from what I have read, you want your blade to glide with no drag when you cut. That's pretty dang sharp.

Are you blonde??

It's stressed so frequently here and with good reason. WOW.

I have been using the same tandy blade that came with my starter kit. That probably made a number of members cringe alone, worse yet is that it bared all of my newbie stropping to boot.

Awhile ago I acquired a few of those keen edge swivel knife sharpeners in a lot of leather tools and materials I picked up and tonight I found my hone. I decided to go at the blade and resurface/angle it. It was in really bad shape. It took quite a bit of time to get the faces straight and even again.

I went to it with the jewelers rouge on card stock as I wanted to use the keen edge at the same angle and all(my leather/wood strop would be awkward). It's still not even 70% polished and it's cutting 1000% better I can't believe the difference. I'll finish it tomorrow.

I just wanted to share, I'd be willing to bet money there are a lot of us out here using dull swivel knives...

Kevin

Let's just say when some of the members suggest "leather cuts like butter" I never thought it could feel like that...AND IT CAN...

I actually didn't get it finished up tonight, spent the day fishing and the eve rewiring my boat trailer. I can't wait to get back at it though and carve my next project.

Kevin

Are you blonde??

Bald... wanna buy me a drink?

Hi Kelly,

The knife needs to be sharp enough that there is no drag when used. Once you have used one that is that sharp you will know. Spend some time on the blade, see if you tube has some vids on it. I sat down with Paul from leather wranglers at the leather show and used one of his sharp blades "WOW" what a difference. I went home and sharpened all of mine.

I am still working on getting them as sharp but spending some time on them and "giving them a little attention" has paid off on the ease and quality of work.

give it a try, I mean tell your "friend" to give it a try!!

Bald... wanna buy me a drink?

That's not a bald head...that's solar panel for a love machine!

At least that's what my husband tells me.

:head_hurts_kr:

I don't think there is a 12-step swivel knife program.......yet.

Art

"Admitting that you have a problem is the first step" is exactly what went through my mind when I read the post Hehehe

I say that knowing full well that I've been using crap blades since I started with leather and *NEED* to dedicate a full day to learning how to sharpen em up properly

Just got some new blades from Barry King and compared them to my others. The stones come out tonight. They are sharp enough to draw blood. Don't ask...............

Just got some new blades from Barry King and compared them to my others. The stones come out tonight. They are sharp enough to draw blood. Don't ask...............

Snap! My swivel knife blades are nowhere near that sharp! Guess I know what Im ding tonight huh!

Nothing more frustrating than a dull swivel knife...except possibly my wife's stupid dog! For what it's worth, most knives don't need to be honed all that often. but they do need to be stropped on a pc of leather or paper with jewelers rouge (buffing compound) rubbed into it. As long as the knife has a decent edge, all you really need to do is polish it on the strop every few moments, or whenever it starts to jerk and drag...

Hope this helps!

Kevin

springfield leather

Nothing more frustrating than a dull swivel knife...except possibly my wife's stupid dog! For what it's worth, most knives don't need to be honed all that often. but they do need to be stropped on a pc of leather or paper with jewelers rouge (buffing compound) rubbed into it. As long as the knife has a decent edge, all you really need to do is polish it on the strop every few moments, or whenever it starts to jerk and drag...

Hope this helps!

Kevin

springfield leather

Hahahah I hear ya! Yea, I took my blades and ran them across the stone for a while and got them pretty sharp. Went to test on a piece of 2-3 oz and nearly cut all the way through on the first try... but boy... I see how much less work it is to cut now! Heh, when you're learning things without formal instruction, you miss stuff like this... I mean really... who would go and sell a swivel knife to a noob like me??

I have been using the same tandy blade that came with my starter kit. That probably made a number of members cringe alone, w

Kevin

Oh crap

! dang, It looks like I will need to do the same thing. Mine is about 10 years old. It seems to work ok.

: ) I just came back to leather last week. I just got my first tandy shipment yesterday. Maybe about 10 items and the one item I needed most "Lather Lace" was back ordered. How does a leather company run out of lace? Sheesh.....lol

Tandy in Houston is only 4 miles from me. I guess I should had driven.:blahblahblah:

Oh crap

! dang, It looks like I will need to do the same thing. Mine is about 10 years old. It seems to work ok.

: ) I just came back to leather last week. I just got my first tandy shipment yesterday. Maybe about 10 items and the one item I needed most "Lather Lace" was back ordered. How does a leather company run out of lace? Sheesh.....lol

Tandy in Houston is only 4 miles from me. I guess I should had driven.:blahblahblah:

Oh dear.... Tandy had an open house last weekend and EVERYTHING was on sale. non members got Gold prices, Gold members got Elite prices... Elite members got Wholesaler prices. They probably got wiped out.

Go to http://www.stecksstore.com See if he has your lace... He ships really fast.... I usually get things from him in 2-3days.