Sign in to follow this  
DG Leather

glue leather to wood

I a m wondering what is the best way to adhere leather to wood with an adhesive...

Also is there a type of wood that would work best?

I am wanting to use normal plywood(not particle board nor chip board).

How permanent do you want the bond to be?

How permanent do you want the bond to be?

I want the adhesive to last as long as possible......never to be removed!!!!

I am as sure about this as I am that death will come to us all..lol

I a m wondering what is the best way to adhere leather to wood with an adhesive...

Also is there a type of wood that would work best?

I am wanting to use normal plywood(not particle board nor chip board).

I've used contact cement with no problems. I've never tried wood glue, but I'm sure that would work also, can any one else add to that?

I've used contact cement with no problems. I've never tried wood glue, but I'm sure that would work also, can any one else add to that?

I make alot of leather picture frames and use 3M - NF30 and it does a great job.

Regards,

Bill Parrie

I'm in the shoe bussiness and when I have to change a last I glue leather to it, using a contact glue. In order to get a good bond, you have to rough up the back side of the leather and then apply two coats of glueto the leather (let the first coat dry and then add the second coat) and one coat to the wood. After that you put the leather on your wood and apply good presure. I use a shoemakers hammer. It has a smooth face so it wont scrape up the leather. I have a last from 1923 that was built up like this and the leather is still holding.

If it was me I would use Barge (old formula) or Masters contact cements. Either will hold. From what I've been hearing about WeldWood it sounds like it's as good or better than Barge or Masters.

Bobby

Edited by hidepounder

Since it is to be as permanent as possible, I have two more suggestions: Real epoxy (not the five minute stuff, boatbuilder's epoxy) or gorilla glue. I've used all sorts of materials with real epoxy, and you bond almost anything to almost anything for almost ever with it. It's downside is that it is not the easiest stuff to work with, you MUST wear rubber gloves to work with it, and it is expensive. You're probably better off using a good contact cement. But epoxy will be pretty much perpetual.