DeadPhan

Hey Now! New Here....

I'd say fresh off the boat into the world of leather working but that would be giving myself too much credit. I'd say it's more like, I'm still on the boat. A friend of mine introduced me to leathercrafting recently. He's been doing it for a couple years and I was blown away by alot of even his early work let alone how far he's come. To see how he's came along and his enthusiasm really encouraged me to take a step into it. Anyway I've yet to acquire anything in the ways of basic startup equipment and such. I've been looking at videos online and such but other than that my feet aren't even wet yet. Came across this site and figured there is alot I can learn and people I can interact with. Very grateful for such a forum. With that wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction maybe on some good sources for education as well as starting to purchase and acquire equipment. Thabks in advance and hope this finds you all well! Till next time!

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum, great site. As for leather working tutorials, there are two places that have quite a bit. Tandy has free videos which teach basics, they also have a pay site on their leathercraft library that is pretty reasonable and has lots of good solid tutorials. The other place is youtube, there are lots of leather working tutorials out there, just search for what you're interested in, such as "Hand Stitching Leather", "Leather carving", etc.

Good Luck,

Chief

Thanks all. How about a good place for a solid startup kit? I'm willing to invest a couple hundred dollars and have been browsing and seen a plethora of kits. Just wondering if anyone has recommendations on The best deal and quality on a startup kit.

Is bumping allowed here?

Bumping is generally accepted around here. Just don't do it too much. As with most forums, serious thread necromancy is frowned on.

To your actual question, here is my take on the kit options.

Option 1, don't buy a big kit. There are a ton of threads in the Getting Started section on suggested tool lists based on the projects you are intrested in. Get what you need, and start with quality tools. Like with computers, an expert can get away with cheap tools if he has to, but beginners realy benifit from learning with quality tools first.

Option 2, the "cheap" kits. You can spend a lot of money on big boxes of import hobby intro level garbage. These are the Tandy kits that a lot of places sell. You can drop $300 on junk easy. I know because I did it. It only took me a couple of months to spend that again on quality middle grade and up tools. There are a few things I still use from those first buys, but those are few and far between.

Option 3, quality kits. I only know of 2 sources off the top of my head. The Craft Shia brand kits from www,goodsjapan.jp, and the Basic Construction Tool Set from www.springfieldleather.com. Springfield has some other in house kits, but I still think they are a touch over filled.

I really appreciate your reply. Thanks. I was very much fixing to get the cheap starter kits that I found off of Google but was hesitant especially after finding this forum assuming I might be pointed in a better direction. I'll be sure to check out all those venues you recommended and am much obliged. Thank you!

I really appreciate your reply. Thanks. I was very much fixing to get the cheap starter kits that I found off of Google but was hesitant especially after finding this forum assuming I might be pointed in a better direction. I'll be sure to check out all those venues you recommended and am much obliged. Thank you!

Not sure why that double posted but sentiments are the same. =)

Very excited and eager to get started in leather working. I'm a total noob but love the craft and grateful for this forum to help me along and share ideas and whatnot. Thanks again friends

How about watching Tandy Leather Sales, Kits come on special discounted rated, many times.

What kind of kit would you recommend. I'm hoping to dive into the craft fairly full time so I was wondering am I better off getting a bigger kit. Or basic and buy stamps as I go?

Welcome. I would start small as you will find out that as you go along that what you want will change. -- Tex

I don't know where to start looking at all these links. Anyone have a specific kit they started with they can reccomend?

As you have viewed all the videos available, you might check into Classes being offered at a Tandy store nearest you ?

There are usually beginners, intermediate, and advanced classes, and each offers some sort of a kit to complete that class, keep the tools acquired and now you have a starting tool collection,.and the instructors help along the way. some are one time classes, others go on for weeks. some of these new classmates friendships can last a lifetime too ! Just a suggestion, hope it might help !

No tandy store near me. How's this look for starting out? http://springfieldleather.com/29324/StarterSet%2CProfessionalProject/

I'm willing to invest as as to acquire enough to dive right in. I'm currently unemployed and hope to start this fairly full time. http://springfieldleather.com/29337/Starter-Set%2CBelt%26Project%2CDelux/

Welcome to the very best leather place you will ever find LWN !!!!!!!!

As a humble newby myself, I just got what I needed at the time, am still in this mode somewhat as a matter of fact.

However once you finally see, well, I only used this once, and that only twice -your begging to get the picture. These tools are ok, if ever needed again. But, now you see the larger kit from Springfield has more of what you'll use now ? So I would go with that for now !

Still you will need to ask yourself where are you headed in this VAST world of Leather ?

I realize thats almost impossible at this point, being new an all. But you need a direction of some sort to advance, This is where the nearest classes come in, the you tube videos of course ! I also recommend you start off slow and concentrate on what you are learning,

LEARN Well, Then practice and practice some more !

Remember, were all here to help, but you gotta do it yourself. once you do, Then the vision will shine upon you. Good luck .

DeadPhan, looking over the posts, I don't see where you ever said what project you were wanting to start out with. WIth some information as to the type of things you intend to do we may be able to give you better pointers on where to start. Kits are not always the way to go, they may seem cheaaper then buying individual items, however they don't work out that way if half of it is stuff you will never use. It may not only have things you won't use but may not have enough of what you need. doing light weight leather will take different items then heavier leather for holsters, horse tack etc.

I'm Definitely gonna start out with smaller lighter stuff. I go to alot of concerts and music festivals and I'm hoping to be able to barter or sell some of my stuff as I get better. I figure I'll be making alot of belts, wallets, coasters, key fabs, patches for clothes. Maybe pockets and things. Flask holders. Lighter holders. Guitar, drum Straps. Over time Proly like fanny packs and small purses. Stuff like that. Maybe framed cuts for hanging on walls and such

Edited by DeadPhan

I'd get a good maul (I don't have one yet - just the basic cheap one from Tandy but I got my eyes on Barry King) and a good swivel knife and make sure you know how to keep the blade sharp. My beginner Tandy kit did come with the jeweller's rouge for the knife blade but like these other guys have said, the kit's have more useless stuff than the useful stuff - UNLESS you get it on sale I would just make a list of the basic tools you need and try to get good ones. I take classes at my local Tandy but if you don't have one near you the people here and guys on youtube like Ian Atkinson and Nigel Armitage are great at showing how things get done.

The kits usually come with a lot of stuff but they are generally the cheapest version available for each item. Yeah you can get stuff done (I made the sporran in my avatar with that stuff) but as you get better you'll ache for better tools. If you have the money to spend you might as well get the good stuff right up front. IF it turns out you absolutely hate doing leatherwork, your good tools will be easy to sell. The good thing about the Tandy kits is they come with easy to follow instructions and projects to get your feet wet and include everything you need usually... (I have no experience with the Springfield kits).

Good luck, have fun and welcome to the forum!