Sign in to follow this  
JLD

Silver Ferrules/Ferrels Where do I get them

Hi

I would like to make a headstall with rolled cheek pieces. How do I do that and where do I get the round tube type silver ferrules (I think that is how it is spelt) from, and... how do you put them on???

:thankyou:

Johanne

I would inquire with one of the custom silver makers like Hanson's . I cannot think of some of the other right off hand. If you get the Leather Crafters & Saddlers Journal there are several adds in there for the custom silver.

I do not remember seeing that kind of stuff off the shelf.

Randy

Montana Silver has the plain and stamped ferrules in 3/8 on there site: www.montanasilversmiths.com/

They are under saddle trim then click on ferrules.

Heather

I took a look at the Montana Silversmiths site. When you read the concho descriptions, there's a really odd statement that they should be kept away from saddle soap. Pretty strange for an item under saddle trim!

Bill

For those that don't realize it 99% of Montana Silversmiths products are silver plated with a Very Thin coat of silver. It is a very lucrative thing for them. I will elaborate on making rounds when I have more time. Greg

JLD

When we would make something round such as roping reins, draw reins, or head stalls. we would decide how much we wanted rounded. Then find the center of the strap and punch a hole at the beginning and the end of what ya want rounded. We then used a string cutter to split they strap from start to finish. You could use a crown splitter or just a knife and a straight edge. I would then glue and stich the two pieces flesh side to flesh side and then use a edger to round the corners off and run through a rein rounder.Hope this helps

Mike

Colorado Saddlery carries them

Rob Schaezlein from San Fransico make sterling silver ones